World Alliance for Retail Excellence & Standards Job Description
Title: Director Marketing Communications & Public Relations
The World Alliance for Retail Excellence & Standards is a non-profit, trade association that promotes and establishes “at-retail” industry standards. The association also provides critical research and educational information about the industry for member companies that deliver service across all retail channels. To learn more about us, visit www.worldalliance-retail.org.
We’ve been evolving over the last two years, refining our brand and refocusing our mission. Today, we find ourselves in need of a creative, outgoing individual who will carry our brand and message forward, while maintaining a watchful eye on metrics that measure success.
This position is integral to our long term plan to expand the visibility and influence of the World Alliance within the retail industry. As such, the Director Marketing Communications & Public Relations will have responsibility for overseeing the ongoing marketing strategies, marketing communications and public relations initiatives of World Alliance for Retail Excellence & Standards. This senior member of our management team will provide support and perspective to the World Alliance Executive Director, the Board of Directors, Association members and outside resources, ensuring the World Alliance’s effectiveness and continued accountability to all constituents.
Reports to: Executive Director
• Collaborate with executive management, The Board and outside resources in defining the public relations and media strategy of the World Alliance
• Assist in the execution of Association communications to the retail industry at large, including:
o Oversight of a broad range of projects related to public relations and the marketing of World Alliance, such as: press releases, fact sheets, social media, etc.
o Cultivation of relationships and coordination of communication with trade and business media, related trade associations and industry thought leaders
o Act as the Association’s representative with the media
• Manage outside resources and assist in development and execution of the World Alliance marketing plan, including:
o Measuring ROI of utilized resources
o Preparing reports analyzing program performance
• Collaborate in crafting the ongoing World Alliance brand strategy and oversee execution of it
• Ensure that the World Alliance brand – value proposition, image, mission, character, etc. – is maintained or appropriately evolved in all events, print and electronic materials and public relations initiatives.
• Manage content and revenue generating aspects of website (Web site Ad’s, Retail Recruiter, Certification, Social Media)
o Ensure content remains accurate and current
o Assume responsibility and accountability for web-based revenue
• Participate in the Association’s Certification Advisory Committee meetings, as needed, ensuring the World Alliance Gold Certification program remains a vigorous component of our Brand.
• Actively support trade events, through:
o Defining the theme and collaborating in the plan for the World Alliance’s annual Retail Merchandising and Marketing Conference (RMMC)
o Ensuring website readiness for conference communications
o Coordination of advertising
o Assistance with planning, executing and active participation in other trade shows / events
o Prepare/Manage Trade Show budget/logistics – External events
• Provide editorial direction and supervise the development of print materials, including collateral materials needed to support events
• Assist in developing Association’s membership retention and growth campaign strategies
• Collaborate in development of Association’s annual budget, particularly events and marketing budgets
• Assume financial oversight of consultants and other outside resource budgets related to public relations and marketing initiatives
• Assist in planning and implementing Board and Special Committee meetings, attending if requested
• Maintain an atmosphere that encourages discussion, motivates members to participate in volunteering and reflects amiable professionalism
• Perform routine Association duties, in the absence of the Executive Director
• Remain flexible, in order to meet the changing needs of the Association
• Preferred Education: Degree in Marketing, Communications or Public Relations from an accredited four-year institution of higher learning, with a minimum 5 years related experience
• Demonstrated success in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications or Media Management preferred
• Creative thinker tempered by analytic watchfulness
• Effective interpersonal relationship skills that facilitate easy connection with a diverse group
• Experience in managing Social Media campaigns
• Graphic design knowledge
• Strong organizational skills that facilitate multi-tasking
• Detail oriented
• General understanding of how the retail industry is organized and operates helpful
• Non-profit experience helpful
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• Team oriented, able to lead or follow directions of co-workers, according to project needs
• Sound business acumen and strategic thinking abilities
• Ability to work independently, set priorities and meet deadlines
• Highly motivated and resilient, with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Proficient in MS Office Word, Excel and Outlook and CRM database applications; Macintosh knowledge helpful.
• Ability to work some weekends, as needed
• Travel: 25% or less
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
• Ability to lift up to 10 lbs. from floor to waist level and carry such objects at least 30 feet
• Capable of driving and air travel
• Work in an office environment and utilize typical office tools
• Work at a desk location for extended periods of time to perform normal daily tasks
Job Location: Broomfield, CO
Status: Full time, salaried exempt position
Reply to: Send electronic copy of résumé to email@example.com. Must be received by June 20th, 2014. PDF, Word or text documents acceptable. No phone calls. No hard copy mailings.