Overall Reviews at J D Wetherspoon PLC
Kitchen Team Member | Velvet, WA | Feb 13, 2019
Average at best
Due to the desire to avoid being recognised by the management that will inevitably read this review, I will keep my points limited and non specific (I'm not a very confrontational person unless absolutely necessary, I do not deem this necessary).
1. Above minimum wage pay was good.
2. Getting more hours was quite easy, although they were not always the hours you wanted.
3. Possibility to make good friends is very solid, I definitely felt a family-like vibe from some of the people I worked with (some of the others were pricks though).
4. Kitchen managers could be nice to talk to and get on with, and did care about things like burns or cuts, taking their time even when busy to make sure your injury is seen to. Upon getting busy however, the managers could become rude and one in particular usually resorted to being condescending and insulting, but while annoying and uncalled for, was understandable due to the stress.
5. 50% off while on shift is nice and all, but when you work over 8 hours and still have to pay for absolutely everything except a glass of water, it gets a little annoying. Quite a lot of places provide a free meal upon reaching a certain amount of hours, no such luck here, even when doing 10 or more hours.
6. Do not take anything the management say about your performance or ability as solid evidence that you could be made permanent when your temporary contract ends. I was milked for hours in my last week, and introduced to some things I hadn't done befor...more
ProsGet hours when you need them, Bond with some coworkers can be great, Health and safety is always a focus to a degree, If food is compromised it is remade ensuring quality is not sacrificed.
ConsLack of ability to choose specific hours, Management and especially employees at times were rude and could make the job a pain, No free food regardless of hours done, Favouritism.
Chef | Ritz, ID | Jan 26, 2020
Great place to work.
Genuinely the best chef role I've had to date. The standards were fantastic, never a dull day and always a job to be done during their busy service period. If you put the work in then you'll get the pay you deserve with managers that understand, respect and work around your personal life to the best of their ability.
Associate | Epsom, NH | Jul 9, 2019
I loved the people. Absolutely the best bit about the job was the staff I worked with, all of them were lovely. The only real negative of this job is that it can start to dominate your life a bit and over time I found myself going out less and less and having less free time.
Associate | London, OH | Aug 7, 2019
Depends on where you work
Useful as a way to tide you over between jobs or for extra cash but otherwise hateful all around. Worked at 4 different locations in Cornwall London & Essex. Most managers are psychos.
Kitchen Assistant | Taunton, MA | Aug 20, 2019
Don’t work there it it horrible staff are nice but management don’t listen to you Rota chops and changes all the time with no notice rude people long hours no sleep no life