$5,534/month - $7,146/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the Position
Under general supervision of the Facilities Project Supervisor, work independently to perform the full range of skilled journey-level electrical work including the installation, maintenance, modification and repair of electrical apparatuses, equipment and systems. Inspect, isolate, troubleshoot and repair electrical malfunctions. Repair and maintain low voltage systems including fire, alarm, and access systems, i.e. keyless entry, intrusion/panic alarms. Plan the layout and perform wiring of new or remodeled installations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Position has an emphasis on the repair and maintenance of low voltage systems including fire, alarm and access systems, i.e. keyless
- entry, intrusion/panic alarms.
- Position will also maintain campus data center and distributed IT Infrastructure clean agent and EPO systems.
- Position will also be integral to maintenance of the campus fire receivers at the campus Public Safety Dispatch Center.
- Position will have a substantial role in emergency response to campus dispatcher in response to access control, and fire and security
- system trouble and supervisory control signals.
Any combination of progressively responsible training and experience which demonstrates achievement of journey-level skills equivalent to that acquired through completion of a standard 8000 hour (4 year) electrician's apprenticeship program. Requires the possession of a valid California Driver's License for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required for position and in any emergency situation. Must participate in all OSHA required physicals and examinations.
- Preferred possession of CA Department of Industrial Relations Fire Alarm
- Technician Certification.
- Preferred NICETT I minimum certification.
- Preferred NICETT II minimum certification.
- Preferred factory training on Simplex and/or Siemens Fire Alarm Systems, S2 Access Control Systems, and intrusion detection and access control systems with free-standing multi zone DACT dialers.
- Experience with server based account management and control systems such as SIS Alarm Center, S2 Enterprise Systems, Genetec VMS system or similar.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of electrical theory and the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the electrical trade for the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical apparatuses, equipment and systems.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal codes and regulations pertaining to the electrical trade, including the National Electric Code and Electrical Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety of the State of California.
- Ability to assemble, install, maintain and repair electrical apparatuses.
- Ability to read, interpret and work from blueprints, plans, drawings and specifications, and to make rough sketches.
- Ability to estimate the cost, time and materials of electrical work.
- Ability to maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems, and to
- prepare standard reports.
- Ability to provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants.
- Ability to successfully complete the SJSU Defensive Driver Training Program and pass the course exam.
- Work schedule varies according to operational needs and may include evening and weekend hours.
- Must participate in all OSHA required physicals and examinations.
- Must be able to be available to service on an Emergency Notification List at a Central Station Monitoring Company, and the University Police Department Call-out list.
- Must possess NICET Electrical and Mechanical Systems Engineering Technology certification in one discipline at level II or have the ability to obtain within 10 months of hire.
November 8, 2018
Application Screening begins November 26, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes:
criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046