Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Assistant Breeder for the Bayer Vegetable Seeds Long Day Onion Breeding Program (Research and Development Specialist II), are to:
- Assist and support the Breeder in optimizing the efficiency and output of the breeding program by designing and implementing technologies and breeding methods in order to ensure a constant flow of commercially successful varieties;
- Design, evaluate and formulate with the Breeder the short term breeding plan, the work process and performance by means of drawing up trial data in filing system, preparing summary reports, give feedback, make proposals and draw conclusions about the breeding program in order to facilitate, and enable divisional and corporate decision making;
- Implement, execute, evaluate, analyze, interpret and document autonomously breeding trials and their results in line with the breeding plan, guidelines and procedures, in order to optimize the efficiency and output of the breeding program;
- Manage and execute the increase and maintenance of Foundation seed in coordination with the Breeder, Stock Seed and/or Production departments in order to ensure the availability of the quantity and quality of Foundation seeds;
- Manage an accurate and detailed breeding administration and implement new ICT- systems in cooperation with the IT Application Manager, within the breeding team and conform the procedures and guidelines in the breeding department, in order to enable the running of an efficient and effective breeding program.
Who you are
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree with four years of experience in Plant Breeding, Genetics, Horticulture, Agronomy or closely related field or;
- Master’s Degree with two years of experience in Plant Breeding, Genetics, Horticulture, Agronomy or closely related field;
- Working knowledge of horticultural/agricultural practices, genetics and plant breeding;
- Team player;
- Organization and planning;
- Computer skills: management information systems, databases, MS Office;
- Language skills: English (required); Spanish (preferred)
- Communication skills;
- Functional competencies: analytical thinking, interpersonal skills, convincing, solving problems, innovative, entrepreneurship, ability to communicate with a range of internal and external collaborators (growers, sales representatives, extensionists, scientists, technicians, contract labor);
- Travel will be 10-15% dispersed over the year.
This candidate will need to reside within the Brooks, Oregon location. Domestic Relocation assistance is offered for this position.
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and you have the "Passion to Innovate" and the "Power to Change", we encourage you to apply now. Job postings will remain open for a minimum of ten business days and are subject to immediate closure thereafter without additional notice. To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.