This National Guard position is for a FLIGHT ENGINEER (INSTRUCTOR) (Title 32), Position Description Number D0606000and is part of the Army Aviation Support Facility located in West Jordan, with the Utah Army National Guard. This vacancy is open statewide. The selecting supervisor for this vacancy is MAJ Noe Vazquez.
As a FLIGHT ENGINEER (INSTRUCTOR) (Title 32), GS-2185-10, you will: JOB DUTIES NOT ALL INCLUSIVE.
- Serves as instructor/flight examiner providing instruction, evaluation and examination on ground and operational training flights to develop and upgrade skills of aircrew members.
- Applying knowledge of the full range of aircrew duties and responsibilities, methods of instruction and requirements of the program, performs standardization, currency, instrument, proficiency, tactical, emergency and special tasks evaluation flights.
- Ensures prescribed programs of instruction for aircrew training is adequately covered in terms of course content, coverage, and scope of material presented.
- Assesses newly assigned individuals' level of experience and training through review of training records and/or proficiency flight evaluation to determine proficiency and skill status.
- Plans and conducts aircrew training program.
- Prepares formal course outlines.
- Schedules and conducts initial, refresher and continuing training, (including ground and flight instruction, procedures training).
- Provides training on in-flight planning and coordination responsibilities, operating principles and characteristics of major aircraft systems; aircraft parameters, operational/mission requirements, equipment systems operation/and troubleshooting, proper and correct methods of performing aircrew duties, e.g., use of aircraft performance charts, computation and aircraft weight and balance, techniques of aircraft internal loading, forms and records completion, arm and hand signals, ground handling of aircraft, use of ground equipment, techniques of normal and rapid (hot) refueling, armament rearming, passenger briefing, sling(external) loads, hoist operations, observer duties, and emergency procedures.
- May perform duties of Flight Engineer which includes utilizing a knowiedge of major aircraft systems associated with heavy multiengine aircraft.
- Incumbent provides assistance to the pilot in preflight planning, monitoring adherence to flight plan, and operating alrcraft engines and a wide variety of aircraft control systems.
- Operates and monitors aircraft control devices and indicators.
- Determines and monitors factors and data affecting performance of aircraft, such as temperature, altitude, humidity, field conditions, configuration and weight of aircraft, on aircraft takeoff, filght and landing, and keeps pilot informed.
- Computes fuel and cargo load, and weights and balance factors.
- Prepares for combination loads determining placement of cargo and passengers within weight and balance limitations.
- Prior to takeoff, insures cargo is properly secured, and proper publications and emergency equipment are aboard as required.
- Indoctrinates crew by briefing on mission equipment and use of life support equipment and safety emergency procedures.
- During flight, updates and records in-f1ight performance data, observes warning indicators for system failure or malfunction performing aircraft systems operational checks.
- Maintains records of operational equipment indicating flights, repairs, maintenance and Inspections; coordinates with maintenance personnel on activities on discrepancies requiring action.
Job family (Series)
2185 Aircrew Technician
Conditions of Employment
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Compatible Military Assignments:
CMF 15, 68W
UH-60 A/L (non rated crew member Flight Instructor)
For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
Medical screening will be completed upon selection for hire.
Soldiers who accept a technician position will be terminated from the Bonus and Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP).
Indefinite positions may be converted to permanent status without further competition.
National Guard Membership is required.
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Your resume must have complete information:
Please ensure your resume accurately reflects the duties and responsibilities under each position you have held with each employer. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. It is your responsibility to make sure your resume states complete information for each job entry (beginning and ending dates of employment stated as MM/YYYY; and total hours worked per week). If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package may be rendered disqualified and you will no longer be considered for this position. Do not copy the job description or your military MOS/AFSC/job duty description as your job duties. If you do this on your resume you will be rendered disqualified for the vacancy.
FLIGHT ENGINEERS - Experience which has provided the applicant with a knowledge of aircraft weight and balance computations; aircraft performance data; aircraft records maintenance; and aircraft systems.
Do you have 24 months of experience performing instructor/flight examiner duties, performance of a full range of flight crew work supporting heavy multiengine aircraft, provides assistance to the pilot in the overall operation of these aircraft, and performs aircraft load master responsibilities. The aircrafts' missions range from combat service support airlift (including movement of heavy supplies, vehicles, other aircraft and equipment), transport of troops, ammo, equipment which supply combat units, troop air assaults, extraction and resupply of troops, and aeromedical evacuations. Incumbent is responsible to provide assistance to the pilot in flight planning, monitoring and operating engines, and a wide variety of aircraft control systems to include fuel, electrical, hydraulic, fire suppression, environmental, pressurization.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Flight Systems, Instructional Design, and Training and Employee Development
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
Review our benefits