Christiana Care Health System is currently accepting applications for Full and Part time Safety Companions to provide constant observation to patients at risk for safety or suicide. This position is designed for candidates with direct patient care experience. This is an excellent opportunity to gather experience and exposure in health care for nursing and behavioral health students.
Positions are located at Christiana and Wilmington Hospital. Candidates must have flexibility to work both campuses. Staff are required to work 32 hours of weekend time in a 4 week schedule.
The Safety Companion is responsible for protecting the patient from injury to self or others until the patient is able to resume responsibility for their own safety. In addition, the Safety Companion will perform hygiene/comfort measures, selected patient care procedures, and respond to care needs for patients under the supervision and direction of the Registered Nurse (RN). The patient care assignment will consist of one to two patients depending on the level of observation required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates skills and knowledge necessary to provide age appropriate care, including knowledge of growth and development, the ability to obtain information identifying a patient's needs, and to provide care as needed.
- Performs assigned nursing procedures for the comfort and well-being of patients.
- Responds to patient crisis situation and initiates interventions within the scope of responsibilities and notifies RN as appropriate
- Assists in patient care including: taking vital signs, hygiene, linen change, feeding, mobility, toileting, repositioning, emptying drains as directed by the RN. Safety Companion may provide additional patient care within his/her scope of practice as directed by the RN.
- Performs finger sticks on adult patients, following all standard laboratory safety policies.
- Performs defined procedures on point of care instrumentation, including blood glucose testing and Hema prompt.
- Accurately documents on CCHS forms and computer as appropriate to scope of job.
- Provides a clean, tidy, safe, and comfortable environment for the patient.
- Responds with promptness, empathy and interest to needs of patients.
- Communicates effectively with patients, employees, physicians, and visitors, and works constructively with other members of the health care team.
- Performs assigned work safely, adhering to established departmental safety rules and practices; reports to Registered Nurse, in a timely manner, any unsafe activities, conditions, hazards, or safety violations that may cause injury to oneself, other employees, patients and visitors.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- BLS (CPR) card current
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Recent patient care in acute care hospital, skilled nursing facility or doctor's office setting preferred.
Christiana Hospital, Newark, Delaware. This 1,007-bed, 1.3-million-square-foot modern facility provides a level of care only available in large-scale teaching hospitals. Christiana Hospital includes Delaware's only Level-I Trauma center (as verified by the American College of Surgeons), which is prepared to handle the most extreme medical emergencies. In fact, it is the only Level-I Trauma center on the East Coast corridor between Baltimore and Philadelphia. Christiana Hospital has also been nationally recognized in U.S. News and World Report's Best Regional Hospitals rankings as #1 in Delaware and #3 in the Philadelphia metro area, plus High Performing in 9 Adult Procedures/Conditions. Academic medical center, Baltimore area, Best regional hospital, Community-based medicine, Community health, Clinician, Delaware hospital, Delaware's largest health system, Electronic medical records, Epic EMRs, Everest Award-winner, In-patient, Level I Trauma Center, Magnet® designation, Nationally recognized, Outpatient, Philadelphia area, Provider, Surgery center, Teaching hospital, Wellness, Wilmington, Newark, U.S. New & World Report ranking, Expert, Serve, Care, Healthcare, Respectful, Dover, Bear, Middletown, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach, Delmarva Peninsula, New Castle, Elkton, Maryland, Glasgow, Hockessin, Brookside, Smyrna, Pike Creek Valley, Milford, Claymont, Pike Creek, Wilmington Manor, North Star, Seaford, Southeastern Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey, Vineland, Millville, West Chester, Kennett Square, Swedesboro, Carneys Point, Woodstown, Salem, Elmer, Deptford Township, Washington Township, Pitman, Glassboro, Franklin