We're looking for solid writers with experience researching, installing, troubleshooting, and writing about smart home technology.
Our readers love How-To Geek because of its unique voice. We’re not a website for geeks—we are the geeks. We’re the people you turn to when your computer isn’t working right, you need to do something technical, or you want to understand the latest gadgets. We explain it all in simple, approachable terms.
You should have expertise with smart home tech like the following (the more the better!):
- Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit/Siri, and/or Google Assistant
- Amazon Echo, Google Nest, Apple HomeKit/HomePod
- Configuring automations
- Smart lighting like Phillips Hue, etc.
- Smart locks and video doorbells
- Smart thermostats
- Smart outlets and plugs
- Smart security systems
- Anything else that falls under smart home technology!
If you have expertise and want to share it with our readers, you might be a good fit for How-To Geek. On top of smart home knowledge, all of our writers should have the following qualities:
- You must be able to write tips, how-to articles, and explainers about complex topics that are clear and easy to understand to new readers.
- You must be creative and have the ability to generate article ideas, take suggestions, and make topics interesting and exciting.
- You must be at least 18 years old and have your own computer.
- You must have solid English writing skills.
- You should have some basic screenshot and image editing chops.
Here are a few of our previous articles so you can get an idea of what we’re looking for in terms of quality and content. Please make sure to look through these before you decide to apply.
These are examples of short (400-1000 word) straightforward instructional posts:
- How to Control Philips Hue Lights From Your Mac: https://www.howtogeek.com/689948/how-to-control-philips-hue-lights-from-your-mac/
- How to Fix an Echo or Google Home That Won’t Connect to WiFi: https://www.howtogeek.com/403031/how-to-fix-an-echo-or-google-home-that-wont-connect-to-wifi/
Here are examples of longer, feature-length articles:
- What to Do When Selling Your Smarthome: https://www.howtogeek.com/415879/what-to-do-when-selling-your-smarthome/
- How Alexa Listens for Wake Words: https://www.howtogeek.com/427686/how-alexa-listens-for-wake-words/
The pay: We will offer competitive per-article pay based on your experience. (A minimum of $100 per article.)
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $25.00 - $50.00 per hour
- Writing: 1 year (Preferred)
- Smart Home: 1 year (Preferred)