Engineering Technician III
- Act as the Engineer's field representative for communication with the Construction
Crew Foremen (both City Staff and private vendors) on a construction site.
- Inspect and ensure site safety compliance and proper construction techniques for various projects in assigned division.
- Communicate any deviations discovered in plans, specification, materials, methods, schedules, or MnDOT specifications to the Engineer.
- Assist in design work using computer assisted design (CAD).
- Assist in preparation of paperwork and documentation for assigned division's construction activities.
- Coordinate survey work by city survey team.
- Coordinate closely with contractors on work which can affect adjacent businesses or property owners.
- Coordinate materials testing with contractors, MnDOT, and the City of Minneapolis Engineering Lab.
- Perform contract administrative duties by tracking daily the following:
o Personnel hours for the general and sub-contractors.
o Payroll and prevailing wage compliance.
o Work progress
o Equipment in and out and special circumstances.
- Prepare weekly reports using excel spreadsheets.
- Measure and track material quantities.
- Assign work to subordinates, providing training and instruction as required.
- Perform a variety of engineering technician work in the office regarding construction project design, cost estimation, calculations of cost, handling communications, completing forms.
- Data entry and analysis for various division assets collected by multiple methods including but not limited to televising, repairs, and inspections utilizing GraniteXP, Maximo, and Microsoft Access.
Engineering Technician III Survey
- Perform field survey work, acting as a lead worker in performing property, monument, preliminary and construction surveys, including use of rod and chain and automated survey equipment
- Act as the engineer's field representative for communication with the Construction Crew Foremen (both City Staff and private vendors) on a survey site.
- Layout construction projects, making all major survey decisions in the field, setting control points, determinations of grade staking, blue topping, and targets for aerial photographing, etc.
- Assigns work to lower level staff, providing training and instruction as required.
- Provide survey information to design engineers for proposed construction, identifying all utilities including vaults, control points, vegetation, etc.
- Perform a variety of engineering technician work in the office regarding construction project design, cost estimation, calculations of cost, handling communications, completing forms, etc.
Combination of office and field.
Eighteen months of post-high school training in Civil Engineering technology or equivalent training in Civil Engineering survey work.
Three years of related experience performing civil engineering and related technical work.
An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Must possess and continue to maintain a valid driver's license.
Some positions are required to obtain the following MnDOT certifications within two years of hire date as a condition of continuous employment: Concrete Field 1, Bituminous Street 1, Aggregate Production 1, and Grading and Base I and at least two advanced certifications in concrete field, grading and base and/or bituminous Certifications within two years of hire date. Training will be provided. It is highly desired for a candidate to possess all or some of the certifications, or other state equivalents, at the time of hire.
Some position are required to obtain the following preferred certifications within 12 months of hire as a condition of continued employment: NASSCO PACP; NASSCO MACP, Erosion Control Site Management, and Confined Space Entry.
The examination/selection process for this position may consist of a rating of training and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). Since the examination process may consist of a rating of training and experience, it is to your advantage to be as complete and thorough on your application form, supplemental application (if applicable) and support documentation as is possible. Minimum passing score is 70.00. Human Resources reserves the right to limit the number of people invited to test.
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be considered further for the position.
Drug and Alcohol Testing:
All job applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test once a conditional offer of employment has been made. Applicants will be required to sign a notifications and consent form prior to undergoing testing. Applicants who do not consent to undergo drug and alcohol testing will not be required to do so; and, the City will withdraw the conditional job offer resulting in the job applicant no longer being considered for the position.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire upon hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering.
- Considerable knowledge of civil engineering survey, design and construction techniques and tools and technology used in this work.
- Good communication skills and the ability to delegate work.
- Good knowledge of civil engineering, drafting techniques, Graphic Information Systems (GIS) and Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), and related computer software packages (Experience with AutoCAD is desirable and MicroStation CAD is highly desirable).
- Knowledge of algebra, trigonometry and the ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Good writing skills and ability to produce reports.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Knowledge of MnDOT "Delegated Contract Process" contract administration is highly desirable.