Full Job Description
Position: Behavioral Health Consultant
Department: Behavioral Health
Reports To: Director of Behavioral Health
Position Status: Exempt
The Behavioral Health Consultant (BHC) works in the primary care clinic as a regular care team
member and delivers evidence-based, short term interventions for a wide variety of behavioral
issues in patients of all ages. The BHC works closely with primary care providers and other medical
staff to ensure comprehensive, holistic care of patients by addressing mental health needs,
substance misuse and medical concerns.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides assessments and interventions to patients in the primary care clinic for any health
problem influenced by behavior.
2. Conducts risk assessments, as indicated.
3. Is available for same day and scheduled behavioral change visits with patients, but attempts
to see all referred patients on the same day (if in clinic when the patient is referred)
4. Maintains a visible presence to the PCPs during clinic operating hours.
5. Is available for “curbside” consultation (a brief interaction between the BHC and a PCP) by
being in the clinic or available by phone or Athena text.
6. Performs follow-up visits within a consultative structure.
7. Regularly uses strategies to grow the breadth and productivity of the Primary Care Behavioral
Health (PCBH) service.
8. Provides psycho-education for patients during individual and group visits.
9. Assists in the development of clinical pathway programs, group medical appointments, classes,
and behavior-focused practice protocols.
10. Maintains an up-to-date library of patient education materials for commonly seen problems.
11. Identifies, reviews, and modifies educational materials for literacy level and cultural
appropriateness (under appropriate supervision).
12. Provides assistance as needed to the PCPs and team for behaviorally-focused tasks.
13. Coordinates care with specialty mental health providers as needed.
14. Provides PCPs with same-day feedback on initial patient encounters (and, as needed, for
follow-ups) either in person or via secured electronic message.
15. Facilitates and assists with referrals to specialty MH/SA services, as needed
16. Provides regular trainings and briefings to the PCMH team regarding PCBH service offerings,
policies and workflows. Works with the team as needed to develop these products.
17. Completes clinical notes and other necessary paperwork in a timely manner to comply with all
administrative regulations. Completes visit notes within 72 business hours of visit completion.
18. Educates PCPs and the team in basic strategies for working with behavioral issues in patients.
19. Supports and assists (as needed) collaboration of PCPs and psychiatrists concerning medication
20. Documents as directed to allow program evaluation and fidelity tracking.
21. Attends required meetings regularly, including the Provider and Site meetings.
22. Meets the productivity goal of 1200 annual billable visits within 1 year of starting with
PrimeCareHealth as a BHC. If not meeting this goal, actively deploys strategies to get to goal.
23. Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills or Abilities
1. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with primary care staff,
patients, and other behavioral health clinicians.
2. Highly skilled in providing behavioral health services with past experience working with a
wide range of ages and presenting issues.
3. Knowledge and interest in providing short term behavioral interventions.
4. Interest in the Primary Care Behavioral Health (PCBH) model:
5. Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
6. Proficient in the use of computers and Microsoft Office.
7. Proficient in the use of an electronic health record.
1. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
2. Must be able to move around the clinic site 50% of the time.
3. Constantly operates a computer, computer printer, copy machine, and telephone.
4. Occasionally positions self to maintain exertion of physical strength to move objects of 10
pounds from one level to another.
5. Must be able to transport from one site to another.
6. Must be able to cover other shifts as necessary
Required Knowledge, Experience, or Licensure/Registration
1. Master’s degree in Social Work or Psychology
2. LCSW, LCPC or Psy.D./Ph.D active licensure.
3. Must possess all licenses, registrations, certifications, and accreditations required by law
to render health care services in the state of Illinois.
4. Must maintain full credentials and privileges to practice with PrimeCare.
5. Minimum of three years of clinical experience as a behavioral health provider in a health care
6. Work flexible work schedules, which could include nights and weekends, when necessary.
7. Previous experience in a primary care setting preferred.
8. Strongly preferred bilingual in English/Spanish
PrimeCare Community Health is part of the National Health Service Corps, as such, you would be able to participate in their Loan Repayment Program. For more information please visit their website at https://bhw.hrsa.gov/loans-scholarships
PrimeCare Community Health is firmly committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants. Therefore, PrimeCare does not discriminate on the basis of creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital or parental status, alienage, disability, political affiliation or belief, military or military discharge status.