This role will support the Installation Support Services (ISS2) contract on Wake Island.
This position will require that the employee work on site at Wake Island, a remote island 2,200 miles west of Hawaii. Transportation from Honolulu, Hawaii to Wake Island is furnished by a government-sponsored aircraft. Meals and housing are provided while working on the island. Employees live in a dormitory housing environment and meals are furnished daily. This role is perfect for someone who is able to remain away for long periods of time with occasional scheduled trips back to Honolulu.
The Water Treatment Specialist maintains the Water and Wastewater infrastructure of the location. This position is responsible for the effective management of tools, equipment, and other resources in the accomplishment of contract requirements.
Essential Duties & Job Functions:
- Operates water treatment equipment to filter and disinfect water for human consumption and for industrial use.
- Operates and maintains reverse osmosis filters.
- Operates and controls electric motors, pumps, and valves to regulate flow of raw water into treating plant.
- Injects specified amounts of chemicals, such as chlorine and potassium permanganate, into water or adjusts automatic devices that admit specified amounts of chemicals into tanks to disinfect and clarify water.
- Cleans tanks and filter beds using backwashing (reverse flow of water).
- Repairs and lubricates machines and equipment using hand and power tools.
- Tests water samples to determine chlorine residual, acidity, color, and impurities using colorimeter, turbidimeter, and conductivity meter.
- Records data, such as residual content of chemicals, water turbidity, and water pressure.
- Operates sewage treatment, sludge processing, and disposal equipment in wastewater septic system and drying beds to control flow and processing of sewage.
- Inventories and requisitions the supplies necessary for the effective operation of the water and wastewater area.
- Understands federal, state, and contract-specific regulations regarding water and wastewater treatment.
- Plans, organizes, and coordinates the work of water and wastewater operatives.
- Ensures compliance with corporate safety, policies and other applicable corporate, federal, and state specific regulations.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Water Treatment Operations Certificate
- Five (5) years of previous relevant experience in managing a water or wastewater operation.
- Current valid state-issued driver's license with acceptable driving record.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- Ability to successfully pass a pre-employment physical and drug test.
- Ability to speak, read and write English.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, gender, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, religion, marital status, ancestry, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status, or any other factor prohibited by applicable law.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled