East Asian Languages and Cultures
Support Staff - Union
Hours Per Week:
Reporting to the Director of Academic Administration and Finance (DAAF), the Administrative Assistant will provide support in the areas of communications and administration to the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures.
- Manage the day-to-day responsibilities of the Department's website and handling update requests for website content.
- Assist in maintaining the department newsletter by gathering and updating newsletter content.
- Support the development of communications plans, which will entail engaging audiences across traditional and new media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, by working with the Department Chair, Faculty, and stakeholders to understand new communication trends and make appropriate strategy recommendations.
- Create and maintain comprehensive communications files.
- Assist administrative staff with various departmental communications projects.
- Serve as first point of contact for visitors to the office, students, faculty and administrators. Direct front office traffic and respond to student inquiries.
- Answer phones and provide clerical services to departmental staff. Receive and respond to incoming and outgoing electronic mail.
- Help to oversee office maintenance by monitoring inventory, condition, and repair of office equipment, including use of the photocopier and fax machines, ordering supplies.
- Provide logistical support for departmental events
- Direct tasks to work study students as needed.
- Perform other related duties including academic service.
High School diploma or its equivalent required.
Two years' related experience required.
Some college preferred. Proficiency or ability to acquire proficiency with content-management University systems.
Position-Specific Minimum Qualifications
Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communications skills with friendly demeanor required. Ability to work in a busy departmental office with faculty, and students. Must be able to manage multiple concurrent projects with varying deadlines and minimal supervision. Demonstrated patience, tact, and the ability to work well with faculty and students. Attention to detail required. Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel, Internet, and other related programs.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Jun 18 2019 Eastern Daylight Time