Fivestars is looking for Summer 2019 interns (May - August 2019) to join our engineering team and build the next generation of products to help small businesses and local communities thrive. In this role you'll gain hands-on experience with Kubernetes, Kafka, React, RabbitMQ, ElasticSearch and the rest of our tech stack that supports our 12,000 merchants and 30 million customers. We'll provide you with all the mentorship, support, engagement and real time feedback that you need to accelerate your learning and make an impact on the Fivestars product.
Who you are:
You're currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science or a related field and want to solve complex and interesting problems. You demonstrate a high level of curiosity and thirst for learning. You are a strong team player who wants to contribute to a product which impacts the lives of business owners and consumers alike.
What you'll do:
What we're looking for:
- Ship code to production and have fun while doing it!
- Work on one of our product teams alongside senior engineers -- our teams are full stack and contribute anywhere from back-end APIs and databases down to front-end UI on each of our surfaces
- Collaborate with the engineering and product team, occasionally pair program and learn all about agile code review and test architecture
- Be paired with an engineering mentor who will guide you through the entire internship
- Be a full fledged contributing member of the engineering team participating in daily scrums, weekly strategic sprint-plannings, monthly retrospectives, weekly brown bag lunch & learns, and bi-weekly show & tell product townhalls
- Actively engage in a robust internship experience where you'll learn what it's like to be a full-time engineer at Fivestars, participate in lunch & learns with our CEO, CTO and leadership team, and enjoy monthly team building events such as hackathons, retreats, social outings and volunteering events
- Occasionally eat a piece of pizza or two or six
Who we are:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in any of the following: CS, EE, Physics, Math
- Strong team player - we work in small product teams that work very closely together and are constantly collaborating in order to move as fast as possible
- Excel at structured and quantitative thinking and problem solving
- Love to crank out code and hack on problems in your free time
- Previous internship experience is not required, but is preferred
At Fivestars our mission is to help businesses and communities thrive by turning every transaction into a relationship. Over 30 million people use Fivestars to get deals at over 12,000 local businesses with one rewards program. Local businesses use Fivestars to bring more customers into their stores with one powerful program. In 2017, Fivestars drove 80 million in-store visits across its network. We've raised $105 million from HarbourVest, Menlo Ventures, Lightspeed, DCM, and Y-Combinator and invite you to join us in creating a Love Local movement across the US and Canada. Visit www.fivestars.com for more information.
Fivestars provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Fivestars complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.