Full Job Description
THIS POSITION IS BASED IN WEST NASHVILLE/BELLE MEADE, BUT REQUIRES TRAVEL TWICE PER WEEK TO SPRINGFIELD.
JOB TITLE: Medical Secretary
REPORTS TO: Clinical Operations Manager
FSLA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB OVERVIEW: Manages efficient patient flow through arrival to departure; performs various clerical duties; interfaces with clinic personnel, patients/visitors, and fellow employees to ensure positive relationships.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: .
- Performs administrative duties and assists providers as part of the clinical care team.
- Schedules appointments, tests and treatments as ordered.
- Maintain providers’ schedules including, but not limited to, scheduling, rescheduling, and cancelling appointments.
- Creates and maintains patient charts.
- Responsible for safeguarding patient records and ensuring compliance with HIPAA standards.
- Scans, merges, and indexes documents in the EHR.
- Requests and tracks insurance referrals prior to patient appointments and ensure they are documented in the EHR.
- Maintains appropriate workflow while checking patients in and out.
- Collects patient payments.
- Verifies and validates patients’ insurance coverage eligibility.
- Checks voicemail and returns patient calls the same day.
- Maintains balances and co-pay cash box.
- Maintains postage.
- Makes remote bank deposit.
- Picks up weekly money order.
- Mails patient no-show letters.
- Prepare outgoing mail.
- Forwards and un-forwards phones to service daily.
- Mails office notes to referring providers as requested by the physician.
- May be responsible for ordering and maintaining office supplies.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Performs other clerical tasks as needed, such as answering phones, faxing, and patient check in and out.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must maintain a current and valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
1. High school diploma or GED equivalent
2. One year medical experience in a physician’s office or equivalent combination of training and experience preferred
- Knowledge of medical practice
- Knowledge of answering phones and taking messages
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions
- Ability to identify problems and seek appropriate guidance
- Ability to maintain records with confidentiality
- Ability to apply practice guidelines and protocols
- Ability to use good reasoning and judgment and react calmly in emergency situations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, coworkers and public
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic
- Basic computer skills
- Sit for extended periods of time; push, pull and reach; occasionally bend, sit, stoop and stretch
- Have full range of body motion
- Have the hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity needed to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculation
- Have a normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriately
- Occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds
- Occasionally relocate to other jobs or office locations
Note: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Job Type: Full-time
- Medical Secretary: 1 year (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends