Careers that Change Lives
A Day in the Life
A Combined bag Sales Representative is expected to achieve annual sales objectives through selling and supporting the Company’s advanced surgical and energy-based products, while representing Medtronic to the customer in accordance with Company policies and AdvaMed guidelines. Combined bag Sales Representatives develop clinical and administrative relationships in assigned accounts and formulate a "defend" territory strategy, accounting for competitive pressures and local market conditions. The Combined bag Sales Representative is expected to demonstrate High Performance Practices and competencies as they meet and exceed objectives for this role.
Overall Sales Representative Functions
1. Achieve all territory sales objectives annually in alignment with the business strategy and annual compensation plan.
2. Develop an understanding of each account’s culture, competitive pressures, financial state, stakeholders and decision makers.
3. Build and maintain strong, professional relationships with clinical and administrative staff in assigned accounts. Through outstanding customer service, maintain a high retention rate of current accounts in territory.
4. Display and leverage strong knowledge of products. Be able to provide hard data around all products, as well as account references.
Effectively collaborate with Medtronic peers in other BUs to identify mutual opportunities and support customer relationships.
6. Complete business analytics and regional reporting assignments in a timely, accurate fashion. Conduct quarterly business reviews to exhibit achievement of sales goals in all assigned accounts.
7. Maintain awareness of competitive products and marketing practices, and keep sales management informed concerning them.
8. Manage inventory of assigned products in accounts, as requested, and facilitate product returns in accordance with Company policy.
9. Verbally deliver clear and concise instruction on the safe and efficacious use of assigned products to customers in and out of the OR setting, including in-services for surgeons and clinical staff.
10. Scrub into surgical procedures utilizing assigned product line on a daily basis. Be fully able to answer questions about the products.
11. Participate fully in training on new products and procedures through in person and online training programs. Attend regional and national meetings, as required.
12. Adjust customer complaints in accordance with Company policy, and advise sales management promptly of any situation beyond the Sales Representative’s scope of authority.
13. Assist with Sales Training courses, both in the field and in the corporate office.
14. Understand and demonstrate the High Performance Practices and Expectations in daily work activities.
15. Manage assigned territory within allocated expense budget. Submit expense reports and pay Company credit card on time per Medtronic policy.
Clinical Selling / "Defend" Functions
1. Develop and maintain a strategic account plan to defend sales in accounts in assigned territory. Execute plan to maintain sales volumes in assigned accounts.
2. Leverage marketing materials, white papers and clinical evidence through consultative selling. Use clinical knowledge to develop messaging in sales proposal.
3. Build and maintain strong, lasting relationships in assigned accounts to support continued business.
4. Gain insight into the key individual customers and how to influence them.
5. Identify opportunities for surgeons to attend Medtronic sponsored professional training programs, and participate in programs and labs (where appropriate).
Economic Selling Functions
1. Integrate economic value messages into sales proposal where appropriate.
2. Collaborate with the Contracts department and sales leadership to manage customer contracts, and facilitate the contract process.
3. Research general account context to understand hospital economics and all key issues at major accounts.
Display and leverage strong knowledge of accounts, purchasing process/buying cycle, and protocols.
3 – 5 years professional field sales experience, demonstrating exceptional achievement of sales objectives
Successfully complete Medtronic combined bag sales training program for assigned products.
Business Acumen, Customer Focus, Drive for Results, Ethics & Values, Evidence Based Medicine, Functional Technical Skills, Integrity & Trust, Interpersonal Savvy, Listening, Negotiating, Priority Setting, Problem Solving
MS Office, strong verbal and written communication skills
With frequent communication to:
Sales, Sales Operations, Marketing, Professional Affairs and Clinical Education, and Customer Service.
Responsibility to oversee:
$2-4M in annual sales
- Hospital and operating room sales environment with frequent* sitting, walking, and standing, and occasional* climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling and balancing.
- Frequent* use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of office machinery and company products.
- Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephone.
- Physical effort required by occasionally* handling objects up to 50 pounds* while in the field.
- Ability to move between departments and buildings to demonstrate Company products.
- Ability to demonstrate Company products in hospital operating rooms.
- Ability to operate a Company vehicle, and maintain a current drivers’ license.
- Position may require in excess of 30% travel time, depending on municipal or rural territory designation.
- Occasional: Activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
- Frequent: Activity exists between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.
Nice to Have
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.