Wexford Health Sources, the nation's leading innovative correctional health care company, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a
Certified Medication Aide
to join our team of healthcare professionals at the
Jessup Correctional Institution in Jessup, MD.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
Annual review with performance increase
Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
Dental and Vision insurance
401(k) retirement saving plans
Company-paid short-term disability
Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Certified Medication Aide will be required to administer medication safely in accordance with the Medical Provider’s prescription, DPSCS policies and procedures, DPSCS Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
1. Administer and document medication on the MAR to inmates in accordance with the DPSCS policies. to all general population inmates including:
Eye drops and ointments
2. Can administer medications to the following:
Segregated /PC inmates
Special Needs Inmates housed on an Inpatient Psychiatric setting
3. Perform finger glucose monitoring testing
4. Prepare and administer insulin, sq. Certified Medication Aides will NOT work with insulin pumps.
5. Administer inhalation products via nebulizer or meter dose inhalers.
6. Demonstrate knowledge of KOP process with provision of refill medication only.
7. Participate in the controlled drug substance counts under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse.
8. Transcribe the Physician/Nurse Practitioner orders including Medication Administration Records (MAR). All transcription must be verified by a licensed nurse and initialed on the MAR.
9. Based on the prerequisite, the Certified Medication Aide can perform CNA duties.
10. Maintain a working knowledge of the rules and regulations of DPSCS and comply with the same.
11. Maintain a working knowledge of the rules and personnel policies of the DPSCS Medical vendor and adhere to the same.
12. Consistently practice universal precautions and maintain an awareness of appropriate infection control practices.
13. Maintain a working knowledge of social and behavioral aspects of correctional facility particularly as they relate to compliance with security needs.
14. Other duties as assigned within the scope of practice.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
REPORT TO: Registered Nurse / Licensed Practical Nurse
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR Certification
EDUCATION: Must be a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) who holds additional certification as a Geriatric Nursing assistant, completed a 60 hour medication course only offered by community college, and is classified as a Certified Medicine Aide by the Maryland Board of Nursing.
Minimum of one (1) years of clinical experience preferred
Correctional Experience preferred
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Strong interpersonal skills.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
General math and analytical skills, and planning, administrative and organizational skills essential.
Demonstrated experience meeting multiple deadlines.
Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
Ability to work in a stressful environment.
Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative and organizational projects.
Must be a "Team-player" as this position requires daily coordination with other coworkers.