- Carry out live animal educational programming in keeping with our Mission. Outreach programming includes (but is not limited to) summer camp visits, special events, library programming, senior centers and more.
- Must be comfortable presenting to small groups as well as large audiences of up to 200 individuals.
- Must have experience working with all ages - preschool aged children, school aged children, seniors and family audiences.
- Travel in Connecticut and New York states is required for outreach programming.
- Some assistance may be required with the care of animals at our headquarters in North Salem, NY. Provide care for small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, arachnids & insects. May include food preparation, feeding, cleaning, maintenance of the animal enclosures, general facility maintenance and careful record-keeping.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, major or course-work in zoology, biology, ecology, or related field.
- Education: 2-4 years education/teaching experience, with ability to present to both large & small groups, preferably with environmental education experience
- Animal Handling: 1-2 years animal care and handling experience, preferably with exotic animals
- Ability to work Monday-Friday with occasional evenings and weekends.
- Interest in and knowledge of local ecology and wildlife is a plus
LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY (Fairfield County, CT or Westchester County, NY or near either county).
- This position is not a typical office-based job. The working environment is fast-paced. A typical day may include one or more programs at different sites. Some days may be longer than 8 hours.
- Position is typically 6-10 hours daily
- Must be able to lift, carry and handle heavy objects.
- Must have own transportation
- Relocation not covered; local candidates preferred.
- Please email your cover letter & resume to Jennifer Balbes, Assistant Director. Please clearly outline how you fulfill the required qualifications, either in your cover letter or in your resume. Please provide information about any experience you have with animal handling.
- No phone calls, please. We regret that we will be unable to acknowledge applications. We will be in contact should you be selected for an interview.
Animal Embassy is home to a diversity of rescued and adopted exotic animals. Animal Ambassadors enhance the presentation of a wide range of topics including diversity, biodiversity, adaptations, habitats, classifications, conservation and more. Animal Embassy has rescued or adopted more than 500 exotic animals over the years and currently maintains over 100 non-releasable animals, including small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, arachnids and insects.
Our Mission Founded in 2002, Animal Embassy is dedicated to the rescue & adoption of exotic animals, to environmental education and to fostering an individual’s appreciation and respect for the natural world. We specialize in providing hands-on, interactive, and entertaining, educational experiences.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
- Education: 2 years (Preferred)
- Animal handling: 1 year (Preferred)
Hours per week: