Firmware Engineer (Direct Hire)
Cleveland, Ohio or Phoenix, Arizona
Description Firmware Engineer:
Work requires monitored evaluation, selection, and application of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria, using originality and judgment in electronic design, adaptations and modifications. Includes design and implementation of embedded firmware primarily written in C or C++ for various embedded processor platforms and applications. Capable of interfacing to and controlling hardware. Requires ability to create solid maintainable code with excellent readability. Application development in communications and protocols, control algorithms, driving displays, real-time applications for an engineering design firm offering hardware, software and mechanical design services in the defense, medical, commercial, consumer, automotive and industrial markets.
Responsibilities for Firmware Engineer:
Requirements for Firmware Engineer:
- Definition and refinement of project requirements including specification generation
- Detailed firmware design and debug
- Firmware Documentation
- Prototype test – design debug, use of oscilloscopes and other test equipment.
- Test Plan development and Design Verification. Document results.
- Design reviews, agency certification, and final product/project documentation
- Support in-house systems and processes dealing with our day to day activities, with the ability to look at the big, longer term picture
- Occasional travel for sales support or on-site customer activities (Reviews, integration test, etc.)
- Support internal procedures and processes to improve efficiency and quality of tasks and results.
- Support in-house systems and tools, as necessary. Get up to speed, as necessary, in unknown areas.
- Competent in software design and development from conception through release to production. Receives direction and guidance from Project Manager or Sr. FW Engineer for assignments and tasks but takes responsibility for completion and follow through of project activities and deliverables.
Desired Requirements for Firmware Engineer:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- Strong embedded programming experience in C/C++.
- 2-5 yrs. experience in embedded Firmware development, including embedded Linux.
- Knowledge of embedded development tools, emulators, debuggers, etc. and structured programming techniques.
- Solid understanding of board-level hardware, 8-bit to 32-bit microcontroller architectures, and communications interfaces and protocols.
- Experience with Microchip, TI, Atmel, and Freescale microprocessors.
- Knowledge of real-time operating systems (RTOS).
- Demonstrated ability to think things through, solve problems - quickly, efficiently and most importantly accurately.
- Innovative with a desire to new technologies.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and commitment to project completion
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills with ability to be client facing.
- FPGA experience is a big plus.
- HW design and RF experience is a plus
- Experience working in a regulated environment (medical device, aerospace, defense, automotive, etc.)
- Experience working with either IOT, RF, Wireless, or Control systems.