*An advanced starting salary within the posted pay range may be considered based on exemplary qualifications.
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position which includes a full range of benefits including Paid Time Off, Extended Medical Leave, Holidays, Employee Health, Dental, Life, Disability, Retirement, and Tuition Assistance programs.
- Examines and analyzes a variety of physical evidence from criminal cases and prepares laboratory reports.
- Primary duties involve the processing, collection, and analysis of biological evidence and resultant DNA analyses and comparisons.
- Other types of analyses may include drug, alcohol, fire debris analysis, and firearm-related examinations.
- Operates and maintains laboratory instruments which may include: Genetic analyzer, thermal cycler, balances, microscopes, Alternate Light Source (ALS), Real-Time PCR system, pH meters, and computers.
- Conducts assigned examinations and experiments utilizing well defined methods and a variety of scientific tools, equipment, instrumentation and techniques.
- Participates with senior examiners to decide the nature and extent of examinations to be conducted on more complex materials and items of evidence.
- Assigned to coordinate routine to moderately complex matters related to scope of analyses with other laboratory units, outside agencies, and related entities.
- Logs evidence in and out of the laboratory.
- Participates in continuing training and education. Maintains current knowledge of appropriate forensic science testing procedures, methods and relevant issues.
- Performs research and participates in discipline appropriate proficiency testing.
- Reviews available forensic science and related journals and publications.
- Provides expert testimony in court, at hearings, and depositions.
- Assists with the development of laboratory procedures and methods.
- Performs method and equipment verification and validation.
- Assists with public presentations regarding crime lab activities.
- On-call for forensic technical assistance and priority evidence analysis.
- Conducts forensic training.
- Answers phone calls and performs general custodial tasks.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or Forensic Science-related area.
- Sufficient coursework in Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology, and course work or training in the area of statistics and/or population genetics to meet the minimum educational requirements in the FBI Quality Assurance Standards. *Please provide supporting documentation (i.e. transcript, certificates).
- Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Ability to work well with all levels of employees and outside contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with details.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with attorneys, law enforcement personnel, vendor representatives, Medical Examiner, forensic peers, Elected Officials, Department Heads, and the general public.
- Ability to operate and maintain laboratory equipment.
TO APPLY: All applications must be submitted through our Self-Service Website at http://hr.sccmo.org/hr. We do not accept faxed, e-mailed, or print applications. For your convenience, if needed, computer terminals are available Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm in the Human Resources Department located in Suite 522 of the St. Charles County Administration Building, 201 N. Second St., St. Charles, MO 63301.
**To assure consideration, applications must be submitted by May 19th, 2019.*
St. Charles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. St. Charles County is a drug and alcohol-free work place. A pre-employment drug screen is required for all positions. Employment is contingent on successfully passing all appropriate background checks.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $42,000.00 to $52,100.00 /year