Position Available: Census Coordinator (Independent Contractor or Temporary Position) | Department: Civic Engagement Department | Location: Cleveland/Akron, OH | Travel: Travel required between Cleveland and Akron, OH. Travel to other parts of Ohio may also be needed.
Asian Services In Action, Inc. (ASIA, Inc.) seeks a highly motivated and bright individual who possesses a diversified set of skills for the Census Coordinator position. This position is a time-limited, full-time position for the 2020 Census cycle. The person will be responsible for the management, coordination, and execution of the day-to-day 2020 census program including field implementation, community organizing, canvassing, education, and turnout. This person will ensure Ohio’s AAPI communities are receiving accurate information regarding the 2020 Census in order to engage meaningfully in the 2020 Census and Get Out the Count (GOTC) efforts. This person will work with our ACE Network program, a statewide Civic Engagement coalition and ASIA’s Civic Engagement team to support strategic outreach to organizations and communities that are hard to count or maybe likely to be discouraged from participating in the 2020 Census.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitate the creation of ASIA’s Census field plan to include: ACE Network partners and reaches Ohio’s AAPI Hard-to-Count communities;
- Facilitate community engagement sessions on the 2020 Census with various ethnic communities around Northeast Ohio;
- Represent ASIA at relevant Census Complete Count Committee meetings across Ohio;
- Work with ASIA’s Communications team to ensure the dissemination of a Census communications strategy which targets ethnic communications and ethnic media outlets;
- Provide technical assistance to ACE Network partners in their community-specific efforts related to the Census;
- Advocate for increased resources for AAPIs and Hard-to-Count communities especially at the state and local levels of government;
- Provide advice and support to the Manager of the Civic Engagement Department to establish and manage a Census outreach program;
- Coordinate organizing projects as needed;
- Provide administrative support to the Civic Engagement Department where needed;
- Ability to lift 30 lbs or more;
- Requires work on evenings and weekends, as necessary for the campaign;
- Ability to commute throughout Ohio with a current license, insurance, and car access;
- Belief in and commitment to progressive social, racial, and economic justice;
- Highly organized and acute attention to detail, flexible, and self-motivated/self-starter;
- Personal qualities include energy, enthusiasm, motivation, commitment, integrity, humor, optimism, a positive attitude, and ability to motivate and listen to others;
- Must be adept in working with diverse staff who are multicultural and multilingual;
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office and OS applications;
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in-person and by phone, with high professionalism;
- Proven oral communications skills with the ability to interact well with the public, board members, and staff;
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain the quality of detailed work while meeting competing and inflexible deadlines;
- Must have a strong commitment to immigrant and refugee concerns and have a great commitment to excellence in social services;
- Must pass a criminal background check and have a valid Ohio State driver’s license;
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree with a background in political science, international relations, communications, nonprofit management, or a related field;
- Experience with civic and voter engagement strategies is a plus (i.e.: phone banking, canvassing);
- Experience leading successful organizing campaigns;
- Prior experience in a non-profit setting is a plus;
- Knowledge of AAPI cultures (their issues and needs, particular barriers and strategies to address those barriers), respect for all cultures, and the ability to interact with diverse groups preferred;
The position reports to the Manager of the Civic Engagement Department. We are seeking a candidate who has strong technical and soft skills, high energy, maturity and potential for leadership.
ASIA offers a competitive benefits package that includes: personal, vacation and holiday paid time off; health insurance; dental/vision coverage, life, and long-term insurance; retirement contribution match; professional development opportunities; and other incentives. Part-time staff is eligible for a pro-rated benefits package based on FTE.
Please send a cover letter and resume to HR Manager (HRManager (at) asiaohio.org). Visit www.asiaohio.org. No phone calls, please.
Asian Services In Action, Inc. promotes equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. ASIA will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women, minorities, and the disabled are encouraged to apply.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract