The Respiratory Therapy Supervisor is responsible for the daily operation of the Respiratory Care Department. Ensures that the staff complies with departmental and institutional policies and procedures. Develops monthly staffing schedules within budgetary limitations and ensures staff coverage in case of emergent staffing issues. Responsible for maintaining the blood gas laboratories in compliance with all regulatory agencies. Ensures that staff members are compliant with hospital and organizational annual and ongoing requirements.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES:
- Responsible for the daily efficient operation of the respiratory care department. Develops monthly staffing schedule taking into account budgetary limitations. Ensures that there is adequate supplies of equipment which enables the staff to provide clinical services in an efficient manner. Ensure adequate staffing coverage for emergent situations. Works with core and unit based staff to ensure best practice.
- Maintains blood gas laboratories in compliance with all regulatory agencies. Ensures that daily maintenance and blood gas logs are reviewed on a daily basis according to departmental policy. Performs bi-annual correlation and linearity studies in a timely fashion. Ensures timely completion of all required proficiency studies.
- Acts as a liaison between the respiratory care staff and other professional and support staff of the hospital. Addresses any conflicts with other support or professional departments and any physicians. Provides or coordinates resources for in-service education to other departments when necessary. Coordinates departmental participation in medical gas shutdowns to insure that the clinical needs of respiratory care patients are safely met.
- Ensures staff compliance with departmental policies and procedures and counsels employees on a timely basis for policy violations. Performs annual reviews and competencies of staff in a timely fashion.
- Assists in the development and continuation of the departmental performance improvement program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Associate's degree American Medical Association approved Respiratory Therapy Program, required. Bachelor's degree American Medical Association approved Respiratory Therapy Program, preferred.
New York State Respiratory Therapy(RT) License, required. Registered by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC-RRT credential), required. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification, required.
1 - 2 Years Current Respiratory Care clinical experience, required. 1 - 2 years Respiratory Care supervisory experience in an acute care facility, preferred.
Excellent communication (both oral and written), interpersonal, organization, problem solving, and teaching skills, required. Proficient in all aspects of respiratory care, required. Basic computer skills, required.