This position is in the Office of the Administrator, Office of Continuous Improvement in Washington, DC.
If selected, you must work at the location stated in this announcement.
About the Office of the Administrator:
Office of the Administrator Homepage
- Develop, recommend, and implement administrative plans and procedures designed for maximum flexibility and effectiveness.
- Establish priorities, coordinate meetings, and provide travel services for managers and staff.
- Coordinate and monitor assigned projects for cost estimates and completion dates.
- Compose and prepare correspondence, reports, and briefing materials to support the organization.
- Evaluate, process, and make recommendations for effective organizational change.
You will spend less than 25% of your work time on contracts, grants/cooperative agreements, and/or interagency agreements.
Job family (Series)
0301 Miscellaneous Administration And Program
Conditions of Employment
If you are selected, a pre-employment background check is required.
You must submit a resume and required documents (see How to Apply section).
This position is designated as Low Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation.
You must meet time in grade requirements no later than 30 calendar days after the closing date of this announcement.
You do not need a degree to qualify for this position.
We are looking for at least one year of specialized experience related to this position as described below:
To qualify for the GS-11 level, you need to have at least one year of full-time experience equivalent to the GS-09 level defined as implementing and analyzing administrative procedures, regulations, and/or processes; providing advice and recommending courses of action to management and employees in an organization - OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; or LL.M., in an academic discipline related to this position.
Your answers to the on-line assessment will be used to evaluate your competencies in the following areas: 1) Knowledge of administrative laws, regulations, policies and precedents which impact programs and processes; 2) Ability to make recommendations for improvement in efficiency and effectiveness of work operations; 3) Ability to manage a calendar and make appointments; 4) Ability to make travel arrangements; 5) Skill in oral communication; 6) Skill in analyzing data; 7) Skill in written communication; 8) Ability to conduct and apply analytical and evaluative methods to improve administrative efficiency and effectiveness.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
If you have part-time work experience, read this:
EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
Are you a Displaced Federal Employee? If so, please read the Required Documents section and visit the EPA website for additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
If you are selected, travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid by EPA. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting to work in this position will be your responsibility.
Except in special circumstances, those new to the federal government will be hired at the starting salary (step 1) of the applicable grade range listed above.
EPA participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees. For additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
Position has portable work and selectee may be authorized to telework after meeting eligibility requirements if approved by the supervisor/manager.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your resume must address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in the Qualifications section. If you meet basic qualification requirements, your application will be further evaluated based on your answers to the online assessment. Your responses to the online assessment will be used to measure the degree to which your background matches the requirements for the position and an applicable score assigned.
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. We will evaluate your qualifications and eligibility and notify you if you meet minimum qualification requirements. If you are referred for consideration, you may be subject to additional assessments.
We do not require a separate statement responding to the competencies, also referred to as Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). However, your resume should clearly show possession of these competencies.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Documents to be submitted online:
- Resume clearly stating your experience related to this position as described in the Duties section and Qualifications section. In describing your experience, you need to be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
- Responses to the online assessment questionnaire (you must complete this online - it is not a document you need to upload).
- College transcripts - if qualifying for this position based on education or a combination of experience and education, you are required to submit either unofficial transcripts or a list of courses that includes school(s) attended, school address, course title, grades earned, completion dates, department, and quarter or semester hours earned. NOTE: Official educational transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if you are selected, you must provide official transcripts before you start work with EPA.
- Veterans' Preference Documents - DD-214 Member 4 copy (or other copy indicating character of service), VA letter stating overall/combined disability rating (percentage), and SF-15, if applicable; active duty service members: submit certification from the armed forces documenting active duty dates, expected discharge/release date, campaign medals/badges, and character of service (a certification is any written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged/released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after you submit the certification).
- Displaced Federal employees under ICTAP/CTAP: copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, tenure, and duty station.
- Current and Former Federal Employees: You are required to submit a Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) indicating your status eligibility. This SF-50 should include your Position Title, Pay Plan, Occupational Code, and Grade or Level. If you are a current temporary/term employee who previously held a status Federal position, you need to submit your SF-50 which shows your eligibility to be considered. If your eligibility for consideration cannot be determined, your application will be rated ineligible.
- Current EPA Employees: You are encouraged to submit a Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50). If you fail to provide an SF-50, we will access your Federal employment records in eOPF to verify your eligibility to be considered. If your eligibility for consideration cannot be determined, your application will be rated ineligible.
- If you are applying for a noncompetitive appointment, you'll need to submit additional documents to prove your eligibility to apply to this vacancy announcement. If you want to learn more about noncompetitive appointments, visit OPM's website: Special Appointment Authorities
If you want to know more about submitting documentation to our office, visit EPA's website:
EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Join EPA in protecting human health and the environment and enjoy many work life quality options! Working for the EPA offers you a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. To learn more about us, visit Life and Careers at EPA.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.