Responsible for decontamination, disinfection, inspection, assembly, and sterilization of supplies, instruments and equipment dispensed by the department following established infection control practices. Must be conscientious with regard to procedures, capable of working under pressure and interacting professionally with other departments within the hospital. Able to accept new ideas and learn position duties. Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
- Actively maintain certifications
- Administers competencies
- Assists with orientation and certification education
- Capital equipment repair requests
- Committees: 5S Team, OR/SPD Process Improvement, and Peer Interview
- Communicates with Vendors/Sales Reps
- Environmental Audits
- Goal Setting/GPTW
- Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Word
- Microsoft OutLook Calendar, E-mail, and SharePoint
- Participates in annual Inventory
- Participates in Continuing Education, Daily Announcements, In-Services, and NetLearning.
- Participates in Sizing Studies, Trends/Resource data analysis
- Places equipment repair requests
- Report - Hand off communication
- RL Event Feedback
- Sterilization Record Audits
- Stock Rotation
- Working knowledge of eSims Synthes Locator
- Working knowledge & problem solving skills for all SPD equipment
- Working knowledge of all SPA & Tech responsibilities
- Working knowledge of Kronos Time Card, OneSource and IFU's
Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of Standard Precautions
Applies aseptic technique in daily work assignments. Performs general cleaning of department surface areas, rack, shelving, storage cabinets, all storage areas, and sterilizers.
Maintains assigned work areas and equipment in a clean and organized condition to maintain required standards for the handling of sterilized and clean materials and equipment.
Has a basic knowledge of equipment operation and maintenance.
Demonstrates knowledge of safety matters and policies.
Expresses knowledge of chemical disinfectants.
Decontaminates instruments, equipment & all other devices per manufacturer guidelines.
Demonstrates knowledge of washer decontamination equipment and is able to function independently in the decontamination area.
Knowledgeable regarding handling and care of instruments, tray preparation and special procedure items.
Assembles all instrument procedure trays using protocol content lists as a guide.
Ensures items needing repair are removed from service and delivered to the SPD office.
Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of the principles of sterilization.
Demonstrates knowledge of sterilizing procedures and biological monitoring/documentation of the steam & Sterrad sterilizers.
Sterilizes instruments, equipment, linen and supplies using various types of autoclaves. Loads autoclaves in prescribed manner and sets controls to specified time and temperature according to the type of items being sterilized. Completes appropriate documentation records prior to sterilization.
Maintains a 3% or less error rate.
Performs other related duties that may be assigned.
Is aware of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of department or hospital administrative staff.
Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
High school graduate or equivalent required.
Must read, write, speak, and comprehend English fluently. (to read and interpret manufacturers instructions, sterilization records and all other documentation pertinent to SPD. To communicate effectively within the SPD department)
Entry level position
Prefer minimum (1) year clinical experience