Job Title: Tooling Engineer III
Position Summary: Coordinate with suppliers and project teams to ensure equipment and tooling is delivered on time, meeting all specifications, within budget and built to Magnode standards. Responsible for improvement of tools and processes.
Essential Job Functions include, but not limited to, the following:
- General Applies to all Tooling Engineers
- Ensure tooling/equipment is consistent with Magnode build requirements.
- Problem solve tooling and process issues.
- Responsible for safety in process design and in execution of daily activities.
- Ensure compliance of practices, procedures and instructions relative to applicable corporate standards (ISO, TS, etc).
- Ensure quality outputs from daily activities.
- Use of proper data collection and analysis to ensure provided information is supported with data that reinforces the stated output.
- Accurate documentation of work output, including storage of designs, spare parts, quotes and budgets.
- Ensure timely execution of planned activities.
- Provide process design and improvements in a cost efficient manner.
- Proficient in completing cost justifications with acceptable ROI.
- Foster good working relationship and demonstrate effective communication skills with vendors, team members, suppliers and project teams.
- Manage large projects and/or large volume of projects; provides strategic support.
- Ability to oversee the work of other engineers; provide direction, feedback and mentoring.
- Independently develop approaches to projects; supervision is in the form of general discussions about desired results.
- Determine the technical objectives of assignments.
- Demonstrate proven ability to apply advanced engineering principles.
- Understand the impact of ones decisions on other areas of the business; work broadly across the organization by interacting with multiple engineering disciplines.
- Embrace lifelong learning and Identify when it is necessary to acquire new knowledge and skills; take self-driven action to develop professionally.
- Demonstrate an interest in learning about new and emerging tools and technology.
- Recognized as a leader in problem solving of complex problems; mentor others by teaching engineering knowledge and skills.
- Skillfully use logic and analysis to identify the strengths and weaknesses, the costs and benefits and the short- and long-term consequences of different approaches.
- Continuously act to prevent problems, pursue opportunities and improve system performance.
- Develop innovative methods of obtaining or using resources when sufficient resources are not available.
- Additional functions not specifically outlined in this position description as directed by the leader.
- Functional Priority Tooling Engineers will focus within one or more functional priority
- Launch & Manufacturing Support – Support manufacturing production by leading troubleshooting and continuous improvement activities.
- Support plant problem solving teams to ensure the production of quality parts and a safe working environment.
- Provide on-call support for all manufacturing processes in order to meet customer demands, when necessary.
- Lead activities to launch new business and execute the maturation process.
- Lead technical solutions and provide input and support for tool designs and development.
- Communicate and share information with peers to ensure launching practices are standard.
- Continuously challenge maturation activities and identify opportunities to reduce maturation time.
- New Business Pursuit
- Communicate and share information with global peers to ensure quoting practices are standard.
- Ensure successful transition of value stream to Launch Engineer by sharing pertinent information developed during the quoting process.
- Ensure Minimum Process Requirements (MPR) are accurate and relevant.
- Process Advancement
- Execute funnel projects and successfully meet cost and timing targets.
- Implement new products and processes into manufacturing following the Machine Development process.
- Identify new technology, develop expertise and industry knowledge in relevant processes and communicate to the organization as necessary.
Position Skills and Experience Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty effectively. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Engineering or Engineering Technology Degree from an accredited institution with 7+ years of professional engineering experience
- Masters Degree in Engineering with 3+ years of professional engineering experience -familiar with weld verification methods, weld testing methodology, and measuring devices.
- Must have a strong understanding of complex hollow extrusion tooling in 6000 series aluminum, 7000 series a plus.
- Requires 2-3 years experience in press sizes ranging from 3,000 ton to 5,000 ton
- Strong understanding of punching, forming and bending.
- Experience launching new equipment and tooling.
- Demonstrated technical ability.
- GD&T Experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Travel is occasionally required, up to 10% of the time.
Job Type: Full-time
- Aluminum Extrusion: 3 years (Preferred)
- Tooling Engineer: 3 years (Preferred)