UMC’s Mission, Vision and Standards Include:
To Serve Our Patients in the Best Teaching Hospital in the Country
Service is our passion. We serve by providing safe, high quality care to all, achieving excellent financial performance, and training tomorrow’s healthcare professionals.
Standards of Excellence:
Attitude, Communication, Responsiveness, Compassion, Teamwork, Ownership, Safety and Respect
501 licensed beds
Regions only Level I Trauma Center
Regions only BICU
Primary teaching hospital for the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC)
Ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in Texas by Texas Monthly
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- General Job / Performance Information
- Education and Experience
- BS in Exercise Science or Equivalent preferred. Minimum of 2 years college coursework in Health and Fitness required. ACSM Health Fitness Specialist certification preferred.
- Environmental / Working Conditions
- See physical capabilities.
- Interaction with Other Departments and Other Relationships
- The exercise specialist must display a professional attitude at all times, be thoughtful of others, neat and well groomed. The exercise specialist will need to carry out close working relationships with many people including but not limited to the Coordinator, Trainers, Director, Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Receptionist, Respiratory Therapy, Physicians, Nurse Managers, Nursing Staff, Social Services/Case Workers, support personnel, and most importantly patients and their family members or caregivers.
- Job Description
- The Exercise Specialist has the responsibility to evaluate, treat, establish a plan of care, and assess cardiac rehab programs. The Exercise Specialist will be expected to complete daily documentation, charges and schedule patients for rehab. The specialist is expected to maintain the highest level of patient care at all times. The Exercise Specialist is also responsible for providing instruction, guidance, and motivation to patients. Other duties will include but are not limited to: assisting in the orientation, supervision, and training of new staff, students, and volunteers. The Exercise Specialist will be expected to comply with policy, procedures, and standards of practice defined and/or stated by 1) American College of Sports Medicine 2) American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation 3) Accreditation Manual 4) UMC Standard Policy and Procedure Manual 5) HealthPoint Cardiac Rehab Policy and Procedure Manual. Hours may be irregular.
- Required Licensures / Certifications / Registrations
- BLS & AED Training within 90 days of hire date. ACLS within the first year of employment
- Physical Capabilities
- Work is of moderate demand. Walking and standing a great deal of the time. Hearing and visual activity and clear speaking patterns are necessary. Indoor workout equipment including but not limited to: treadmills, cycles, strength training circuit, and audiovisual equipment.
- Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication and customer service skills required. Computer literacy required.