Do you have Proven Experience and a Passion for Design?
If so, we’d love for you to join our family!
Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design is a family-owned furniture retailer, founded right here in Chicago back in 1945. Over the past 73 years, the company has grown to include 10 Chicago area showrooms, with locations in Vernon Hills, Arlington Heights, Old Orchard, Glendale Heights, Geneva, Naperville, Oak Brook, Orland Park, Lincoln Park, Merrillville, IN, as well as our Itasca headquarters. Today, you'll find 3 generations of the Smithe family still actively involved in the business.
Position Type: Retail, Sales, Interior Design
Location: Oak Brook Showroom
While working as a Designer at our Oak Brook showroom, you’ll have the opportunity to work with clients in the West Suburbs, including communities like Hinsdale, Western Springs, Elmhurst, Burr Ridge, Oak Brook, Lombard, and Oak Park.
Our Oak Brook design team is growing. We're looking to hire individuals who are confident, outgoing, entrepreneurial, passionate about design, and energized by sales. If you have an eye for design and a knack for connecting with others, consider a career in design with us.
We're looking to grow our team with confident, outgoing, and highly self-motivated individuals who are passionate about design and able to sell. Our most successful designers take an entrepreneurial approach to managing their businesses. Enjoy the creativity that comes with performing home consultations, and utilizing design tools to bring your projects to life. We'll partner with you to come up with unique and effective ways to market yourself and grow your list of clients.
- Prior sales experience of 1-2 years working with clients in high-end, luxury retail – ideally in furniture and/or design
- Must be able to demonstrate a passion for design, whether it be through education, experience, or something else
- Should have an engaging personal presence – someone who can quickly connect, build rapport, and convey credibility with potential clients.
- Freedom to work weekends, evenings, and holidays
- An active listener; able to interpret and address client needs, while simultaneously asking qualifying questions
- Boundless energy to move throughout the showroom, highlighting products and options to clients, while providing expertise and solutions at a pace that satisfies the needs of your clients.
- Excellent time management and follow-up skills, including a strong sense of urgency
- Ability to gently persuade clients toward your product recommendations.
- Passion for maximizing sales and delivering an outstanding client experience
- Motivated by coaching and a constant desire to continually learning and improving to be the “best” you can be.
- Ability and availability to perform weekly client in-home design consultations
- Access to vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Proficiency with Windows and Microsoft Office
- Storis experience is a PLUS
Here's why we think Smithe is the BEST place to be a designer
- Flexible Schedules
- 3 Months Paid Training - plus earned commissions
- 100% Commission, paid at order – not delivery
- Bonuses for top performers
- Creative Autonomy
- Access to Design Tools
- Beautiful Showrooms
- Quality Product Lines
- Price Points for every Budget
- Dedicated Brand Advertising + Personalized Marketing Support
- Generous Employee Discounts
- Client Service Support Staff
- Benefits Include: Medical, Dental, Vision; Life Insurance (if on medical); Long Term Disability; Employee Assistance Program; 401K; Paid Holidays; Paid Time Off; Opportunities to earn additional bonuses
Job Type: Full-time