Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Customer Service and Operations, the insurance business analyst is expected to play the following roles:
- Domain Expert
- Solution Expert
- Business Requirements Manager
- Test Manager
The Business Analyst will be well versed in the disciplines of New Business, Policy Servicing, Claims, Billing & Collections, Accounting, Products and Reinsurance.
Domain Expert :
An insurance business analyst is expected to be well versed in at least 3-4 of the above areas. All of which requires an understanding of the current state, as well as the ability to think strategically, provide competitive analysis, and build business cases.
- An insurance business must be able to make recommendations relative to available tools or systems can be used to support insurance operations in a company. Including:
- Core System Knowledge
- Underwriting System Knowledge
- Claims Systems
- Products and Services
Business Requirements Manager:
- Create and develop business requirements from the end user perspective
- Complex systems = complex requirements
- Ensure requirements meet objectives
- Documentation and management of business process and system changes
Obtain feedback from user community as to needs and requirements. Negotiate and facilitate when request has conflicting requirements and/or approaches. Manage the project from the User perspective.
End User Acceptance Testing:
After having defined and documented the business requirements there should be familiarity with the functionality of the system, and can plan and design test cases for the team to utilize.
Responsibilities and Duties
Consults with business staff to develop understanding of the varied and complex business needs supported by the system. Responsible for determining how changing business needs will affect the system. Understands the role of the system in the big picture and provides ideas and recommendations regarding the evolution of the system.
- Responds to questions and influences the client regarding current and potential system inputs, processes, and outputs. Conducts research and analysis into the nature, effect and results of system problems. Develops detailed business user requirements, system documentation, workflow procedures, and data modeling. Negotiates plans, time frames and trade-offs while ensuring client understands the final results of the project.
- Reviews and approves requested system changes and develops detailed specifications for implementation. Communicates system changes and issues at all levels.
- Ensures current and accurate system documentation, coordinates and or performs testing of system modifications, and develops, provides, or coordinates system training, educational tools and materials. May be involved with the Project Manager regarding planning/scheduling and sources allocation.
- Produces reports, timelines, and graphics using advanced functions of a personal computer. Creates reports from existing client database to satisfy user requests, data sampling, project analysis or test verification.
- Monitors and audits the use and performance of the information systems; executes system quality control practices and procedures.
- Builds effective relationships with business units to develop a “joint” vision. Acts as a liaison with IT and/or outside vendors as appropriate in support of the systems. Works together with consultants and Project Managers to ensure the clients business need have been met.
- Participates in industry and other professional networks to ensure awareness of industry standards, trends and best practices in order to strengthen organizational and technical knowledge.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as requested
Qualifications and Skills
- B.A. and/or industry classes and/or designations.
- Knowledge of reporting systems.
- Full knowledge of SBLI products, services and procedures.
- 5-7 years’ experience with business operations or systems development.
- Computer literacy.
- Life Insurance experience preferred.
SBLI is rated A by A.M. Best. We are conveniently located in Woburn at the intersection of Routes 128 and Route 93, as well as off the Commerce Way exit off Route 93. We offer competitive wages and excellent benefits including medical, dental, life, disability, and 401(k) plans.
SBLI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Local Candidates only. No relocation available.
Job Type: Full-time
- Life Insurance: 5 years (Required)
- Business Operations: 5 years (Required)
- Systems Development: 5 years (Required)
- Woburn, MA 01801 (Preferred)