The Operating HVAC/Controls Engineer is responsible for the daily inspections and evaluations of existing Building Automation Systems. The Operating HVAC/Controls Engineer will also perform high-quality preventative maintenance functions in the areas of electrical, plumbing, life safety systems, and HVAC as necessary. The Operating HVAC/Controls Engineer will interact with tenants in generating and completing work orders in a courteous, professional, and least disruptive manner. This position will also monitor and inspect the work of contractors and outside vendors. The Operating HVAC/Controls Engineer will monitor the safety and comfort of our tenants and respond to emergency situations as necessary.
The Operating HVAC/Controls Engineer will review set points, evaluate system performance, troubleshoot, and make repairs to all devices and equipment associated with the network based HVAC Environmental Controls consisting of multiple proprietary systems and control points, such as building level network/ field level network controllers, air-handler units, chilled and hot water systems, circulating water pumps, variable frequency drives, relay motor starters, temperature/humidity/static censer, pressure transducer, electric and pneumatic actuators, air-compressors, and lighting control relays.
The Operating HVAC/Controls Engineer has internal contacts with the entire administrative staff and external contact with tenants, service contractors, government agencies, and the community and is expected to represent UCSC in a professional manner. This position has access to sensitive UCSC information and equipment and is expected to handle such information and equipment with integrity and professionalism. The Operating HVAC/Controls Engineer will report to the Chief Engineer and participate in department/company activities as necessary.
- Maintains safe working conditions: identifies and corrects or reports unsafe conditions in work area.
- Operates hot water boilers, centrifugal water cooled chillers controls, and ancillary equipment; manages pressure, temperatures, and flow of steam system, feed-water, building automation systems, and distribution system
- Operates and maintains one or more systems which provide facility with such services as heat, humidification, steam or high temperature water, or electricity.
- Responsible to start up, regulate, repair, and shut down equipment.
- Observes and interprets readings on gauges, meters and charts which register various aspects of the system's operation; adjusting controls, including direct digital building controls, to ensure safe and efficient operation of the system and to meet demands for the service provided.
- Maintains logs for various aspects of the system's operation, manages an alarm management program for all BAS systems.
- Keeps the machinery and equipment of the system in good working order.
- May direct and coordinate activities of others as well as supervise technical personnel.
- Troubleshoot Control System problems
- The successful candidate will have experience in operations and maintenance of facility building systems. The individual must have a strong background with HVAC, electrical, life safety systems, controls, mechanical, and plumbing/piping systems.
- The Operating HVAC/ Controls Engineer performs day-to-day system operations and routine preventive and corrective maintenance of facility infrastructure. Assist with monitoring operations, conducting routine and on-going assessment of the building systems operations and performance. The position requires an awareness of critical environment operating practices and protocols and routinely conducts hands-on maintenance work on a variety of critical and non-critical facility systems and equipment.
- At the direction of Chief Engineer, and maintenance manager maintains equipment such as heat exchanger, HVAC, electrical, plumbing and hot water systems. Monitors operation, adjusts, and maintains chilled water, and air conditioning equipment; hot water boilers, and ventilating and domestic hot water heaters; pumps, valves, piping and filters; other mechanical and electrical equipment; record readings and make adjustments where necessary to ensure proper operation of equipment.
- Receive and execute work orders for preventative and corrective maintenance on facility systems and building physical structure. Consult with supervisor to order necessary materials to complete all maintenance and perform necessary work.
- Respond immediately to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure, etc.) and customer concerns.
- Attend relevant workshops as necessary to maintain professional and technical knowledge, certifications, and licensure.
- Adheres to the UCSC’s security guidelines and ensures the appropriate handling and use of equipment, tools, and sensitive information.
- Facilitates and attends relevant staff meetings to promote communication and execution of goals and objectives.
- Completes special projects specific to the function of the department or as needed for the department as directed by the Chief Engineer or maintenance manager.
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of position expectations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient using building automation systems-Andover, Honeywell, Siemens, Trane
- Knowledge of engineering fundamentals necessary for effective and safe operation of complex electrical and mechanical building equipment and systems
- Must be a team player committed to working in a quality environment.
- Local licensing requirement for Stationary Engineers performing work.
- Strong organization skills and attention to details
- Trouble shooting skills and ability to test facility/building elements
- Ability to read and comprehend technical manuals and instructions
- Ability to identify abnormal situations and conditions and elevate to supervisors for resolution
Experience, Education, and Licensure
Minimum Experience: 5 + years / 10,000 hours related work experience; strong experience with electrical and mechanical building systems is required. Experience working in healthcare facilities preferred but not required.
Minimum Education: High School diploma or GED equivalent
Technical training of at least 800 hours
2 Year Technical Degree preferred
Licensure (1 required):
- Department of Labor Journeyman Certification in Electric, HVAC or Plumbing
- International Code Council Journeyman Certification.
- In lieu of either Journeyman Certification; 10 years verifiable experience, successful completion of formal structured training program in Electrical, HVAC or Plumbing and successful completion of a third-party skills assessment
Certifications (2 required):
- City of Philadelphia Engineer A License (with 6,000 hours of performing duties of on equipment that requires the license)
- Universal Certification for CFC's and/or appropriate license/permit for trade may also be required, i.e. HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical.
Valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; talk or hear. The employee will frequently climb stairs; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl.
- Regular use of ladders and stools.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Operate related equipment and use necessary tools.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include frequent reading and close vision; distance vision; color vision; peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
Job Type: Full-time
- Electrical or Mechanical Building Systems: 5 years (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- HVAC Certification (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- Universal Certification (Preferred)