Verity Health System offers a dynamic environment for individuals dedicated to careers in health care - whether you seek a clinical or administrative role. Created in December 2015, the new Verity Health System team is working to revitalize our facilities to create a more welcoming, healing environment for our patients. We are investing in new technology to advance our delivery of safe, quality patient care. If you welcome the challenge of re-inventing healthcare for the patients we serve at our Verity Health hospitals and through our Verity Medical Foundation, this could be the opportunity for you. With more than 8,000 employees and physicians, Verity Health is a non-profit, non-religious health care system with 1,650 inpatient beds, six active emergency rooms and host of medical specialties including: orthopedics, transplant surgery, cardiology, maternal/child health and wound care, among other specialties. We are committed to the Verity Values of Caring, Respect, and Integrity, Passion and Stewardship and the goal of serving our communities for generations to come.
Opened as Mary's Help Hospital in 1912, Seton Medical Center, a 357 licensed bed facility serves the highly diverse 1.5 million residents of San Francisco and San Mateo counties with a comprehensive range of inpatient and outpatient services. Its sister hospital is Seton Coastside, a 116-bed skilled nursing facility located in the coastal town of Moss Beach. Seton Coastside offers the only 24-hour Standby Emergency Department along the 55-mile coastal stretch between Daly City and Santa Cruz.
The Registrar obtains and completes accurate demographic and billing information to insure a clean bill, which in turn will decrease A.R. days. The Registrar acts as a liaison between the physicians and admitting department concerning admitting procedures, authorizations, and patient orders to comply with all state and federal regulatory agencies that govern the healthcare industry. Keeps informed by the department Manager, or Team Leads, of any new government policies or regulations that apply to these duties.
MAJOR JOB OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Collects and enters patient demographics accurately (goal is 98% accuracy) and completely, at time of admission or registration to secure payment, facilitate billing, and account follow-up; obtains consents and signatures to deliver treatment and submit billing; provides Advance Health Care Directives information and Conditions of Admission to patients consistently and provides explanation of each form signed.
- Provides high level customer service in a prompt, courteous, and knowledgeable manner; answers telephone in a professional, courteous and timely manner by identifying department, name, and "How may I help you?"
- Demonstrates effective communication skills verbally and in writing, including ability to review and understand hospital and department policies and procedures.
- Maintains a working knowledge of insurance plans, including but not limited to commercial payers, Medicare, Medi-Cal, Workers Compensation, HMOs, PPOs, and the authorization process required; Keeps current with policies pertaining to JCAHO, CMS, EMTALA, OBRA, and Title XXII
- Determines insurance requirements for elective admissions and outpatient services; defers surgical admissions to the patient financial advisors for clearance and benefits (Pre-Registration Registrar only).
- Maintains proficient knowledge of the MS4 database and related programs accessed to register and admit patients, including but not limited to ABN Checker, DDE, and AVES.
- Answers at Seton Coastside the main switchboard and transfers calls to appropriate departments.
- Completes additional projects as requested by Manager.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES & KNOWLEDGE:
- A minimum of one-year patient registration experience in an acute facility. (More years of experience may be required if hired in a registration area that demands more experience.)
- Experience with electronic data entry preferred
- Work in a physician's office may be substituted for an acute hospital setting if duties are similar.
- Must type 45 wpm using both alpha and numeric keys
- Familiar with medical terminology
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work flexible schedule