The Wistar Institute has an opening for an Immigration Associate/Human Resources Generalist with primary responsibility for the Institute’s immigration function. In addition, the successful candidate will provide backup generalist support including benefits and recruiting working with the Human Resources Department staff.
The Immigration Associate responsibilities (60%) include:
Human Resources Generalist backup support (40%) include:
- Determines feasibility of employing a foreign national at the request of hiring supervisor.
- Assures appropriate hiring approvals are obtained.
- Determines appropriate visa type to use on an individual basis.
- Prepares and submits visa applications and related documentation to appropriate government agencies/departments.
- Assists foreign national in obtaining and maintaining legal nonimmigrant status.
- Counsels foreign nationals and derivatives on immigration and employment related policies and procedures.
- Provides counsel and necessary documentation to foreign nationals traveling beyond the borders of the US.
- Assists in coordinating the permanent residence application process with outside counsel on behalf of eligible foreign nationals.
- Conducts orientation for new foreign nationals.
- Responsible Officer of the Institute’s Exchange-Visitor Program.
- Conversant in Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
- Prepares the annual Exchange-Visitor Program Usage report for submission to the U.S. State Department.
- Remains informed of current trends/changes in immigration law, practices and procedures.
- Work with department staff for cross-training in other functions including, but not limited to, benefits orientation, recruiting and assisting with the Institute’s affirmative action program.
- Responsible for reviewing and verifying the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) for all new employees.
- Maintains I-9 file by updating and re-verification as required by law.
- Inputs all new foreign national employees into Tax Navigator and prepares initial tax forms to be submitted to payroll.
- Coordinating wellness and professional development programs for employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and work experience required.
Minimum of two to three years of immigration experience.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, or other Qualifications:
Exposure to immigration and training functions required. United States citizenship or United States legal permanent residence to qualify for federal agency certification as a Responsible or Alternative Responsible Officer.
The Wistar Institute is located in the University City area of Philadelphia, in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania Campus. Wistar provides resources to its faculty and staff that enable them to conduct cutting edge collaborative research and provides for outstanding intellectual environments and state-of-the-art facilities. Research discoveries conducted at Wistar have led to the development of vaccines; the identification of genes associated with cancers; and the development of many other significant research technologies and tools.
We offer an excellent benefits package.
For more information about The Wistar Institute visit our website at www.wistar.org.