Now Brewing – Technologists! #tobeanintern
From the beginning, Starbucks set out to be a different kind of company. One that not only celebrated coffee and its rich tradition, but that also inspired connection. We are known for developing and supporting students who share this passion and are guided by their service to others. Join our intern team at the newly created Starbucks Technology Center at Arizona State University
(ASU) and immerse yourself in an enduring global company that values people and fosters innovation. The Starbucks Technology Center will engage with ASU students to help accelerate the Starbucks Technology roadmap and continue the fast-paced innovation that is driving the evolving retail experience for Starbucks customers. The first of its kind for Starbucks, the Starbucks Technology Center will change the way we are able to drive innovation, accelerating our ability to transform experiences for our partners and customers.
At Starbucks we are performance driven, through the lens of humanity; we strive to create opportunities with broader impact. Connect with something bigger and discover your potential.
Starbucks Business Intelligence (BI)
is responsible for providing Data and Insights company-wide. Our BI team is in a unique position to enable cutting-edge data analysis over hundreds of terabytes of data. With the team working on large streams of data, we‘re looking for part-time Data Science interns to turn big data into actionable insights. As a key member of the Data Science team, you will be a bridge between Data Engineers and Data Scientists in line of business teams in building out the next generation analytics platform and scalable analytical models that push the boundaries of analytics and machine learning. Projects may include:
We’d love to hear from students with:
- Creation of machine learning models to predict:
- customer product preferences (recommendation engine)
- store network activity and predictive downtime analysis
- demand for each major product in a store
- Data normalization and dynamic baselining of large-volume, Security-related datasets to discern patterns and predictions
- Chatbot/Speech-to-Text interfaces
- Advanced Visualization
- Data Taxonomy
- Superior strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong relationship management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Strong understanding of machine learning theory and big data concepts/processes.
- Prior experience with machine learning and big data (ETL, analytics, etc.)
- Mid-level programming experience; ability to build prototypes and understand existing code base.
- Principled approach to solving algorithmic problems with a focus on what will make users happy.
- Pragmatic approach to rapidly evaluating new algorithmic ideas.
- Attention to detail and ability to thoroughly think through problems.
- An interest in a semester-long, part-time internship with the option to continue if mutually agreeable.
- Ability to work full-time from May 20, 2019 to August 2, 2019.
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD student with Data Science, Machine Learning or Statistics background highly desired.
- Currently enrolled into an undergraduate or graduate Computer Science or Business degree program at Arizona State University.
- Anticipated graduation between December 2019 and August 2020 preferred.
- Python, SQL, Java or C++ experience is highly desired.
- Minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0.
Starbucks is an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals; including minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities, and regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. Starbucks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.
About Starbucks Coffee Company
By bringing people together over coffee, Starbucks has become one of the world’s best-known and best-loved companies. We purchase, roast and serve award-winning coffee. We also offer Italian-style espresso beverages, cold blended beverages, delicious food, premium Teavana teas, Evolution Fresh juices and carefully curated merchandise through our retail stores. Working at Starbucks is a lot like working with your friends. When you work here, you’re not an “employee” – we call ourselves “partners” because we believe in shared common goals and mutual success. We’re dedicated to serving ethically sourced coffee, caring for the environment and giving back to the communities where we do business. Starbucks is an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities.