GIS TECHNICIAN I
Pay - $31.48/hour
Hours: M-F 8-5
- Primary function is data entry utilizing forms and drop downs in user interface to enter high pressure pipeline data in GIS database.
- Follow established procedures to select map data to populate database tables and attributes.
- Review and interpret data sources and use standard GIS software functions to enter, edit and update pipeline GIS spatial data into databases or layers, following standard procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings (as-built, schematics, dimensioning), legacy company maps, aerial imagery, and pipeline feature studies for digitizing and calibrating pipeline centerline.
- Read, interpret, and research source documents such as as-built drawings, schematic engineering drawings, tract maps, parcel maps, cadastral maps, property descriptions, and other records to verify the accuracy and completeness of data prior to input.
- Use basic scripts, macros and queries to search for and correct missing, incomplete or inaccurate spatial and attribute data.
- Performs quality-control checks of own work to ensure accuracy and completeness of data and adherence with established policies, procedures and other mandates applicable to assigned task.
- Converts spatial data from one coordinate system to another.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- 80% Processes digital and hard copy data for inclusion in the geographic information system:
- 50% - Digitize Transmission, Distribution, and Storage facility system changes and perform GIS data entry by utilizing ArcGIS software to manage pipeline centerline location and maintain pipeline feature attributes per data editing standards and procedures, 20% - Read and interpret technical engineering drawings in as-builts, schematics, legacy company maps, and aerial imagery for digitizing pipeline centerline in GIS, 10%
- Review existing data or incoming GIS data update requests for accuracy and completeness of documentation)
- 10% - Utilize various company systems for tracking individual work, fulfilling update requests, and retrieving work order documents and engineering drawings.
- 10% - Perform minimal administrative duties such as copying, typing, and filing to organize GIS work.
- A bachelor’s degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geography, Computer Science, Engineering, Environmental Science, Computer Science or other related field.
- Or associates Degree in GIS, Geography, Computer Science, Engineering, Environmental Science, Computer Science or other related field, plus a minimum of one (1) to two (2) years full-time hands-on experience with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop
- Or GIS Certificate with one to two years of experience working with ArcGIS Desktop
- Proficiency in the use of standard editing functionality in ArcGIS software to carry out routine assignments per instructions following established methods, procedures and guidelines.
- Beginner to Intermediate skill level in Microsoft Excel. Microsoft Access beginner to intermediate skill level desired, but not required.
- Basic understanding of relational database concepts and functionality (joins, relates, types of relationships).
- Capable of interpreting plan & profile engineering drawings, As-Built drawings and other technical drawings.
- Knowledge or experience working in the pipeline utility industry applying linear referencing concepts is desired, but not required.
- Must have good attention to detail in order to properly maintain and enter data in a GIS database.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate, both orally and written, technical and non-technical information.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $31.48 /hour