The New York City Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS), Office of Citywide Procurement (OCP) seeks to hire a City Laborer.
OCP is the chief procurement agent for the City of New York and is responsible for purchasing goods and certain services whose total value exceeds the small purchase limit of $100,000. Last year, OCP processed orders for goods and services worth over $1.5 billion for over 100 City agencies, departments, boards and authorities. OCP is also charged with quality control for all purchases; warehousing and distribution of goods to agencies throughout the City; and transfer, sale and other safe disposal of City agencies' surplus goods. OCP supports City operations by providing an efficient, cost effective and customer-focused central purchasing function while ensuring that products purchased, and services obtained support the City's long term strategic and environmental goals at the lowest net cost and the highest professional standards. DCAS procures goods, construction services and other services for itself through OCP's Agency Procurement. Citywide procurements on behalf of other City agencies are handled by OCP.
Under immediate supervision, in various City agencies, performs common unskilled laboring work requiring physical strength. Moves, lifts and carries items of various weights and sizes. May utilize hand or power-driven equipment in the performance of duties. May be required to operate motor vehicles in connection with the performance of duties. Performs related work. By assignment, may oversee the daily activities of other laborers in the performance of their duties
The City Laborer will be responsible, but not limited to the following task:
- Operates box and flatbed trucks, cargo vans and passenger vehicles.
- Load and delivery products as instructed by Motor Vehicle Supervisor
- Under direct supervision receive, store, distribute and care for materials, supplies and equipment and tools
- Picks supplies from storage areas to fill agency requisitions, lifting and carrying supplies where necessary
- Keep records and assists in conducting periodic physical inventory counts
- Packs, unpacks, counts, weighs, and measures materials, supplies and equipment
- Loads and unloads deliveries at the DCAS Central Storehouse and at point of pick up, delivery or distribution
- Operates electric material handling equipment; transporter; forklift; narrow aisle-high reach trucks
- Checks materials received against purchase orders; records breakage/damage and discrepancy
- Date stamps all cartons received to facilitate FIFO inventory standards
- Working collaboratively with DCAS staff, city agencies and landlords to coordinate interrelated facilities activities.
- Supervisor/s will assign certain maintenance and janitorial work as needed
- Performing special assignments and related duties as directed.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. There are no formal education or experience requirements for this position.
2. There are certain medical and physical requirements.
Possession of a Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York.
Possession of a Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York. For appointment to positions, possession of Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) valid in the State of New York required. There may be certain age requirements to obtain this license. Employees must maintain the Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) during their employment.
Please go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search for Job ID # 410058
For current City employees, please go to www.nyc.gov/ess and log into Employee Self Service.
NO PHONE CALLS, FAXES OR PERSONAL INQUIRIES PERMITTED.
ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.
66-26 METROPOLITAN AVENUE, MIDDLE VILLAGE, NY, 11379
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.