The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2019 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
MD Anderson Cancer Center is a global leader in the treatment of blood cancers. The Department of Leukemia is one of the most successful disease-specific cancer programs in the world, as well as one of the largest.
- This position demonstrates competency via direct observation and assessment for the following phlebotomy procedures:
Venipuncture and capillary puncture
Central venous catheter blood collection
Blood culture collection for bottles and isolator tubes
Hair follicle and body fluids
Isolation room procedures
- Demonstrates competency in the principles and practice of sample processing and maintenance of processing equipment.
- Accurately enters required data regarding collections into various logs, labels, requisitions and computer systems.
- Remains knowledgeable of all policies and protocols that are essential to the accuracy and timeliness of collection, processing and shipping/storage of research samples.
- Assists with training assigned by supervisory staff.
- Consistently, accurately and completely records all collections on sample logs, collection data sheets and in all applicable laboratory databases.
Accurately records all data necessary for charging of research phlebotomy services.
- Completes assignment without undue reliance on others
- Achieves productivity standard of the LCRS laboratory
Assists with problem solving
- Attends continuing educational programs
- Assumes personal accountability to have all samples collected and all documentation reviewed for accuracy and completeness prior to storage or other sample disposition.
- Adheres to applicable policies, procedures and protocols
- Performs all phlebotomy procedures in accordance with the LCRS procedure manuel.
- Accurately identifies patient and collects the correct specimens.
- Maintains specimen integrity by collecting and transporting specimens in a timely manner.
- Completes records (electronic and paper) and files as appropriate.
- Assists co-workers as required
- Requests assistance when competing priorities interfere with the accurate and complete collection or required samples.
- Accurately and honestly documents completion of protocol mandated tasks, reasons for non-performance or variances in the performance of tasks.
- Checks indication that consent is or is not signed for all required and optional sampling and halts sampling when consent is not documented.
- Adheres to all mandated JCAHO patient safety requirements, guidelines for safe handling of cytotoxic agents and biological hazards and all other applicable regulatory requirements, including hand-washing and proper use of required personal protective equipment.
- Asks questions when unsure and follows the directives of supervisors and internal lab resources.
- Assists in ensuring a safe environment for patients, co-workers, and visitors
- Utilizes all equipment and supplies in a manner that ensures safety to patients, co-workers and self
- Wears protective attire and personal protective equipment in accordance with regulatory, institutional, and divisional requirements
- Participates in all required safety training
- Manages all customer service and peer-to-peer interactions with tact and diplomacy, actively seeking to resolve issues with both internal and external customers and contacts.
- Documents in manner consistent with information given or received to/from the subject/patient.
- Exhibits team work in the performing of clinical trials tasks and duties.
Other duties as assigned
High school diploma or equivalent.
Associate's degree from a Medical Laboratory Technician Program or completion of a specialized phlebotomy training program.
Completion of a MD Anderson phlebotomy internship or six months of phlebotomy experience in a clinical laboratory. With preferred education, only three months of phlebotomy experience in a clinical laboratory required.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
US Dollar (USD) 28,800
US Dollar (USD) 36,000
Maximum Salary :
US Dollar (USD) 43,200