Founded by Cornell University graduates in 1889, The Cornell Club-New York has been in existence in Manhattan for over a century. The Club is a place to dine with family and friends, host a meeting or social event in a private dining room, enjoy a restful stay in an overnight guest room, and foster intellectual, social, and cultural growth through networking and club programs. In 1989, through the generosity of an alumnus anonymous donor and Member of The Club, our permanent home became 6 East 44th Street. Enriched in tradition of higher education, community service, and continual learning, The Club maintains its relationship with Cornell University along with Weill Cornell Medical Center and Cornell Tech, both of which are located in New York City. Nestled on Club Row, The Cornell Club is a 14-story brownstone featuring 48 finely appointed overnight guest rooms on our upper floors. The Club’s main floor reflects a warm and welcoming ambiance. Completing the first floor, The Club offers its Members a Tap & Grill Room and Business Center. The second floor is home to our formal Cayuga Dining Room and Cayuga Lounge. The A.D. White Library is located on the third floor and offers Members relaxation coupled with quiet work areas. On the fourth and fifth floors of The Club, one will find the perfect venues where Members have hosted family, friends, and colleagues throughout our club’s history. These rooms are also utilized to accommodate The Club’s many prominent speakers and private dining programs. Located on the entire sixth floor is the Health & Fitness Center, featuring state-of-the-art equipment, Peloton Bikes, private trainers, a massage therapist, and course instructors. In 2014, The Club marked its 25th anniversary at our 44th Street location, along with our inaugural recognition as a Five Star Platinum Club of America. In these new times, we remain steadfast in our commitment to offer our Members a haven of hospitality in the greatest city in the world!
Summary of Position:
Platinum Ivy League Club is looking for hospitality driven individuals who are passionate about fine dining service. Candidate needs to be well versed in all cooking methods, capable of executing all ala carte and banquet stations, while meeting presentation and timing standards and maintaining a clean, well-stocked and organized work area.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Prepare and produce a variety of high-quality dishes as per guest orders, while following approved recipes & specifications in an accurate and timely manner.
- Perform work on different kitchen line stations and banquet kitchen as per business demands.
- Cook menu items in alignment with the kitchen team to deliver dishes simultaneously at appropriate time.
- Weigh and measure ingredients; properly use recipes in order to produce dishes up to standard.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of recipes, ingredients, allergens, and food presentation.
- Ensure that food quality, quantity, freshness, and presentation meet the standards of The Cornell Club.
- Maintain a clean and well organized work station, while adhering to safe work and equipment practices, and follow all food safety, health and sanitation standards.
- Ensure all the products and prepared items are properly labeled, dated, initialed, covered, and rotated following FIFO.
- Follow all company policies, procedures, and guidelines including being ready to work at scheduled shift, in uniform, as per uniform standards.
- Complete assignments in a timely and professional manner.
- Operate ethically to protect the assets and image of the company.
- Must be able to maintain a schedule availability flexible to the business demands.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required or requested.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Culinary degree and/or certificate highly desirable.
- NYC Department of Health Certification.
- Minimum five years of experience in a full service, high-volume, fast paced kitchen or food service environment.
- Must have excellent knife skills and are proficient in all aspects of cooking.
- Demonstrated experience with various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Have experience on multiple stations in the kitchen.
- Working knowledge and understanding of health, safety, and sanitation standards
- Ability to take direction and show initiative.
- Ability to follow and execute recipes to designated specifications.
- Ability to work in a clean, organized, and efficient manner in a high-pressure environment.
- Excellent attention to detail, time management, and organizational skills.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills conducive to a productive teamwork environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong work ethic, team player, and customer-focused approach.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be passionate, innovative, and dedicated to success.
- Maintains an up to date knowledge of current and future food culinary trends.
- Presents themselves professionally. eg: clean uniform, well groomed, sharp knives.
- Maintains the ability to follow standardized recipes, cooking techniques, procedures and plating for all menu items and specials.
- Meets timing and attendance standards.
- Coordinates orders with others, assists coworkers as needed.
- Works cooperatively with front of the house staff to respond to member needs.
- Ensure their areas of responsibility are well stocked and guests ready.
- Maintains high standards of cleanliness, safety and food safety throughout the shift.
- Ability to perform the essential job functions consistently, safely and successfully, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance.
- Ability to lift and carry items weighing 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly frequent movements from place to place within the property.
- Bend, lift, carry, reach/extend arms, and hands above shoulder height frequently, or otherwise move in a constantly changing environment.
- Climbing steps regularly.
Salary and Benefits:
- 25/hour for the first year, $33/hour thereafter. 5 day work week.
- Full union benefits after 90 days probation, including medical, dental and vision.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $25.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid sick time
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Casual dining restaurant
- Fine dining restaurant
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Morning shift
Weekly day range:
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Follow all federal, state and local guidelines. All candidates must have full COVID 19 vaccination
Ability to commute/relocate:
- New York, NY 10017: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Restaurant experience: 5 years (Required)
- Day Shift (Preferred)
- Night Shift (Preferred)
Work Location: In person