Executive Sous Chef / Chef De Cuisine Job Description
Join the Matthew Kenney Cuisine Team. A little about us:
Crafting the Future of Food
Through a shared commitment to excellence, we are dedicated to an uncompromising quality of cutting-edge cuisine, exceptional service to our guests and team members, and the creation of an inviting, healthy and caring environment for all.
OUR TEAM MEMBERS:
- Connected to our mission
- Hospitality and growth mindset
- Passion to serve
- Committed to training and development
- Neccesary skill and experience
- Ability to relentlessly execute operating standards
Lead a 100% plant-based restaurant and retail space with one of the fastest growing plant-based lifestyle brands present today. As the Executive Chef you will have total culinary, kitchen operations, and financial responsibility for the heart (back) of house. You will directly perform hands-on work on an ongoing basis to ensure proper employee training, committed to superior guest service, or otherwise role model appropriate behaviors in the restaurant. You will provide overall leadership; recognize and motivate members of the team; coach and train the team for culinary excellence. The Executive Chef will drive all culinary and kitchen operational standards and report directly to ownership, the General Manager, and Corporate Culinary leadership.
- Develop and maintain recipes, portion specifications, and standard preparation procedures for all dishes and ensure that all chefs are following these standards.
- Determination of purchasing specifications and budgetary allotments for all menu items.
- Lead and cook by example and provide guidance to any subordinates.
- Ensure kitchen operations can run smoothly and efficiently in your absence.
- Make periodic and regular inspections of units to observe quality of food preparation and service, food appearance, cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment, and employee appearance.
- Prepare operational reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and make appropriate recommendations for success.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and compliance with all company policies/service procedures/standards.
- Have a working knowledge of company invoice tracking, labor tracking, schedule preparation, food cost management, labor cost management, inventory control and hiring/counseling/termination policies.
- Coordinate hiring and training activities for kitchen, bakery, retail, prepared, and other production and back of house employees while continuously monitoring their performance.
- Direct all health and safety standards to highest levels of excellence
- Drives a food cost of no greater than 25% and works on weekly sales/labor forecasting for maximizing goal of FOH/BOH combined 35% labor. (This will vary based on current sales trends and investment in 3 meal service periods)
- Is present in the kitchen with the team during prime service periods and is working in the kitchen/prep at least 70% of their scheduled time.
- Provides GM/Ownership a schedule on a weekly basis for themselves and their team.
- Creates a schedule for seasonal menu changes and delivers for approval
- Analyzes weekly/daily menu item analysis to understand best sellers and guest preferences
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as an Executive Chef in a restaurant with a similar style of dining, capacity and high volume.
- Passion for vegan plant-based food, experience a plus
- Certificate or degree in Culinary Arts preferred.
- Servsafe, Food Safety Handler, and Training for Intervention Procedures (TIPS) certifications required.
- Strong financial and computer skills; has experience working with and an understanding of P&L’s and budgeting.
- Possess a passion for culinary excellence with incredible skill to create exciting new dishes, appropriate for the venue’s concept.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays in addition to normal business hours, as needed.
- Proven ability to direct staff clear and concisely while positively influencing employee behavior and performance.
- Maintains openness and willingness to learn new techniques and improve abilities.
- Think quickly, multitask, and adapt to changing situations while maintaining the highest quality of product and other established standards.
- Ability to navigate and utilize Microsoft Office Suite programs (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), appropriate point of sale (POS) systems, and any other required operating machines (i.e. cooking machinery).
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $64,000.00 to $70,000.00 /year
- relevant: 3 years (Preferred)
- Chef: 3 years (Preferred)
- Weekends required
- Holidays required
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible