Job Title: Histotechnologist
Great full-time positions for Histotechnicians in the Gilbert, Arizona!
Histotechnicians are responsible for performing routine histology duties; embedding, cutting, processing, H&E staining / cover slipping, grossing. As a Histotechnician the position duties include: grossing / embedding biopsies / small specimens, maintaining logs, policies and procedures, serving as a resource for the other lab personnel, assisting with workflow, identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Performs Microtomy and staining of paraffin embedded tissue according to instructions daily. Maintains diagnostic viability of all specimens and ensures correct patient labeling. Cuts, prepares, and stains slides from histology specimens. Routinely checks and verifies that surgical case numbers match blocks and slides; prints labels as appropriate.
- Grosses biopsies and small specimens. Performs gross tissue examination and must meet personnel qualifications set forth by the 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489 and the policies and procedures outlined in the department Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Keeps workflow moving and assists with workflow.
- Handles, prepares, and uploads stainers; conducts dehydrating and cover slips slides utilizing manual or automatic systems.
- Prepares, cleans, maintains, and shuts down laboratory equipment & accessories used in a daily and weekly manner.
- Adheres to the laboratory’s quality control policies, documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Demonstrates capability of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and must either correct the problems or immediately notify the General Supervisor, technical Supervisor, or Laboratory Director.
- Reports all concerns of test quality and/or patient safety to the Lab Director.
- Troubleshoots assays and all related instrumentation. Maintains and revises as needed all related technical policies and procedures including instrument/equipment maintenance by maintaining equipment quality control and preventive maintenance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Demonstrated skills in technical data interpretation and ability to troubleshoot.
- Demonstrated ability to take and follow direction and to know who the resources are for their direction.
- Ability to both gross and embed specimens with the highest degree of quality
- Understanding of the equipment used daily; including, tissue processors, embedding station, microtome, cover slipper, and cassette printer.
- Experience in routine histology to act as a resource for other team members.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and general working knowledge of Internet for business use.
- Ability to serve as a resource for other lab staff
- Highly accountable, self-starter, ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, high-volume, deadline driven environment where expectations are 30-35 blocks per hour.
- Drive for Results (Service, Quality, and Continuous Improvement) – Ensure procedures and processes are in place that lead to delivery of quality results and continually reassess their effectiveness to achieve continuous improvement.
- Communication – Proficient verbal and written communication skills. Willingness to share and receive information and ideas from all levels of the organization to achieve the desired results.
- Teamwork – Commitment to the successful achievement of team and organizational goals through a desire to participate with and help other members of the team.
- Customer Service Focus – Demonstrate a focus on listening to and understanding client/customer needs and then delighting the client/customer by exceeding service and quality expectations.
Education, Certification/Licensure, and/or Experience
- HT or HTL Certification
- AS or BS in a Laboratory Science preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in histology
- Previous Lab Management preferred
There are two full-time positions available offering a competitive hourly rate ($32-$37 per hour), up to 5% signing bonus plusannual bonus potential up to 10% of annual hourly compensation; full benefits (must work at least 30 hours to qualify) and flexible work hours from 6:00am – 5:30pm.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $32.00 to $37.00 /hour
- histology: 5 years (Preferred)