Block Engineering, located in Southborough, MA (Boston metro area) is a designer of Quantum Cascade Laser-based spectrometers for the detection and identification of gases, liquids and solids. Block’s products have won multiple photonics and safety/security awards, and are used to protect people and facilities against chemical threats.
Block is seeking a Lead Optical Engineer to assist with the design and development of Block’s laser-based products. This role’s responsibilities include creating solutions for current products and new products under development.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, work well with little supervision, and have a high degree of initiative and follow through.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead the optical design work on Block's suite of Quantum Cascade Laser-based chemical detection systems.
- Lead the design, development and analysis of optical components and sub-systems.
- Design and build prototypes, create detailed drawings and instructions then release to production.
- Responsible for all technical documentation and artifacts (Models, CADs, drawings, Simulation, BOMs, etc.) relevant to the optical design.
- Assist with the preparation of product technical requirements and specifications.
- Work closely with documentation and configuration management and ECO process.
- Interact with other engineering groups (Electrical & Software), as well as cross-functional teams such as Manufacturing, Quality and Supply Chain.
- Work closely with product managers on products and customer requirements.
- Work on projects independently, and with a multi-disciplined team of scientists, engineers and technicians.The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- BS in Optical Engineering, Physics, Photonics, or a related discipline. MS or PhD would be a plus.
- Experience with optical design software (prefer either Zemax or LightTools).
- Hands-on experience and understanding of optics and optical engineering best practices.
- Excellent root cause analysis, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Experience with Solidworks would be helpful.
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, and a "Can-Do" attitude.
- Creative thinking to develop practical solutions.
- Strong ownership, accountability, and work ethic.
- Open-minded and willingness to work closely with others.
Job Type: Full-time