JOB TITLE: Receptionist/Registration
REPORTS TO: Administrator, Business Office Manager
DEPARTMENT: Business Office
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Part time, afternoons
$13-$16/hr based on experience
OVERVIEW: The Receptionist/Registrar is responsible for greeting, registering patients, completing all required forms necessary for patient surgical procedures, as well as verifying all patient information and insurance details. Additionally, they must collect co-pays, answer calls, and direct vendors appropriately.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the philosophy, goals, and objectives of the Organization.
- Supports and performs according to approved policies and procedures.
- Participates as a team member in support of the total preoperative process.
- Considers patient rights in performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Contributes to the progress and development of the approved QAPI Program.
- Supports risk management and participates in programs directed to patient and staff safety.
- Contributes to the quality management process; identifies role and contributions upon request; participates in data collection activities in support of the Quality Management Program.
- Objectively evaluates suggestions, grievances, and processes to identify opportunities to improve performance and quality of care.
- Communicates effectively with patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers.
- Interactions are respectful and courteous.
- Communicates effectively and professionally using a translator when necessary.
- Documents that information received from the patient is disseminated to the appropriate people or departments.
- Uses the internal Instant Messaging system to communicate with Pre and Post-Op staff regarding patient surgical status
- Maintains and promotes professional competence through continuing education and other learning experiences.
- Participates in committees, conferences, and quality management activities.
- Seeks new learning experiences by accepting challenging opportunities and responsibilities.
- Objectively evaluates suggestions or criticisms and attempts to improve performance or seeks further guidance, as needed.
- Attends and actively participates in meetings, committees, in-services, workshops, seminars, and conferences according to job responsibilities and Facility requirements as requested with management approval.
- Adheres to safety policies and procedures in performing job duties and responsibilities.
- Reports observed or suspected violations, hazards, and noncompliance according to Facility policy.
- Observes safety measures in performance of job duties and responsibilities; enforces compliance with safety policies and procedures.
- Responds to emergency situations with competence and composure.
- Interacts appropriately with various age groups.
- Accurately assesses and interprets age-specific patient data.
- Accurately interprets age-specific patient responses to questions and instructions.
- Admits patients to CCSC following the established policies and procedures.
- Prints surgery schedule on a daily basis
- Assembles patient medical record forms and prepares patient identification, including patient arm bands for both adult patients and minors
- Verify orders against patient “verbalized” procedure
- Obtains information needed to register patient; attaches patient identify documentation, including scanning patient insurance card and identification into Amkai
- Reviews forms for patient signature; obtains forms or signature(s) as needed.
- Provides information to the patient’s family in the waiting area according to the centers policy.
- Collects all required deposit amount from patient at time of registration
- Can complete a Financial Payment plan with patient, if needed
- Understands the process to follow for “legal guardian”, “custodial”, etc. cases
- Knows how to complete a Care Credit application with a patient
- Knows how to use credit card machine and manually settle batches
- Knows Patient Rights and Responsibilities and is able to explain and provide copy upon request
- Knows Advance Directives policy and can provide information to patient upon request
- Is familiar with process for 23-hour Total Joint program
- Creates patient charts and provides to PAT dept. for timely patient evaluation
- Checks for accuracy of demographics, insurance, policy numbers, social security number, race and ethnicity at time of registration.
- Is familiar with and appropriately uses internal Operating systems
- Open payment batch to post patient payments
- Post payment to patient account for all authorized and approved payments received via phone
- Month end process
- Familiar with adding an insurance to a patient account
- Uses EPIC to locate and pull patient information when needed for insurance and authorization requests
- Can go on Medtek and pull Operative Reports for physicians as needed
- Sending encrypted emails outside of the organization
- Documents, Policies and procedures maintained on the company share drive Coordinates reception area activities for effective communication throughout the center.
- Greets patients and visitors in a friendly manner.
- Answers telephone and intercom quietly and courteously.
- Receives and relays messages effectively.
- Maintains and protects each patient’s right to confidentiality.
- Identifies emergencies and initiates response according to centers policy.
- Requires all vendors to be in compliance with center standards of checking in and out appropriately
- Ensures reception and waiting area are well maintained, neat and clean on a daily basis
- Assumes clerical duties and responsibilities.
- Assists in ordering and stocking all required patient forms
- Assists in maintaining cost-effectiveness by preventing waste of supplies.
- Maintains order and cleanliness for the front desk.
- Assists with preparation and maintenance of the centers records and reports.
- Monitors the coffee station and maintains appropriately
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
COMPETENCIES - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Language, Math and Reasoning
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in on and one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but involved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and TRAINING:
- 2 years of experience, preferred
- Require language skills adequate for written, interpersonal and telephone communication in English
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit. use hands to finger, handle, or feel,
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
There are no special vision requirements
WORK ENVIRONMENT - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- This position works in an environment with moderate noise level. (Examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic.)
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $13.00 to $16.00 /hour
- receptionist/registration: 2 years (Preferred)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) (Required)