Title: Multimedia Reporter Last Revision Date: 5/8/18
Department: Reporter Corps
Reports to: Managing Editor
WANTED: PBS39is looking for highly motivated Multimedia Reporters to identify, report, shoot and produce a wide range of stories for our Reporter Corps, a new initiative that embeds journalists in a 10-county area in eastern Pennsylvania and western New Jersey. These reporters will find and create community-focused digital content for the PBS39 website as well as a nightly televised newscast to launch later this year.
Our team will practice community journalism in the Greater Lehigh Valley area, including Lehigh, Northampton, Bucks, Montgomery, Berks, Schuylkill, Carbon and Monroe counties in Pennsylvania, plus Warren and Hunterdon counties in New Jersey. Reporters will deliver in-depth reports with an emphasis on solutions and accountability journalism. They will cover a wide range of subject matter, exploring the ‘how’ and ‘why’ of an issue and putting complex stories into context for diverse audiences — always aiming to tell the local stories that aren’t being told elsewhere.
Our embedded reporters will live in the counties they cover and work remotely as they produce content for our digital and broadcast platforms. They must be versatile and steady under deadline pressure as they find compelling community stories and exercise strong social media skills, using those platforms as an extension of their work.
- PBS39 is a 50-year young non-profit located 90 minutes from Manhattan and 60 minutes from Philadelphia in the rapidly growing Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. The organization is beginning an exciting new era called WLVT 3.0, and seeks appropriate management and leadership for these transformational new enterprises that will ensure a community that is engaged, inspired and vibrant. In addition, PBS39 continues several long-time series and specials that have just recently been nominated for 10 Emmy Awards
- Mission Statement: PBS39 acts as the catalyst to promote civic engagement, and to fulfill the regional needs of the Greater Lehigh Valley through its dynamic communication platforms and resources.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF EXPERIENCE NEEDED TO QUALIFY FOR THE POSITION
- At least two years’ experience in broadcast news journalism with a proven track record of developing and producing content for multiple platforms.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, critical thinking and organization skills.
- Strong written communication skills required.
- Able to work early morning, evening and/or weekend hours depending, when demanded, by news coverage or other editorial responsibilities.
- Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment.
- Application of high journalistic standards and news judgment.
- Public television experience a plus.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Managing Editor, Executive Producer, Chief Content Officer and others to help develop and implement a multi-platform content plan.
- Research, conduct interviews, write, shoot and edit in-depth stories for broadcast, radio and digital platforms.
- Respond to breaking news as needed.
- Work a beat and pitch and produce stories with impact.
- Contribute to departmental projects and planning, including story ideas, record keeping and assisting news interns.
- Participate in station activities including fund drives and community events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Must be a positive, creative and forward-looking thinker.
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM DEGREE/TRAINING REQUIRED TO PERFORM POSITION’S RESPONSIBILITIES
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Office hours scheduled but flexible.
No phone calls, please.
Online portfolio or demo reel
WLVT-PBS39 is an equal opportunity employer
Job Type: Full-time
- broadcast news journalism: 2 years
Required work authorization: