RN Nurse Specialist Cardiology Laboratory
$25,000 Sign-On Bonus Offered (terms apply)
Provides quality nursing care and practice to patients undergoing invasive cardiac diagnostic, interventional procedures, EP studies and ablations, and endovascular/peripheral procedures pre, intra, and post procedure. Maintains patient safety and comfort while assisting the physician in obtaining sufficient and valid hemodynamic and radiologic data for diagnosis and possible interventional procedure.
1. Asesses, monitors and implements supportive nursing care, health counseling and education to patients of all ages. Identifies physical symptoms and changes in patient status. Takes appropriate action in timely manner.
2. Provides IV access, procedure-specific preparation, prepares and administers procedural sedation and related reversal agents, intra-coronary medications, anticoagulants, llb/llla agents, and other medications as needed.
3. Documents patient's response to these medications in the medical record.
4. Monitors patients response to vasoactive/cardiac meds pre intra, and post procedure as needed.
5. Assists the physician during diagnostic and interventional cardiac procedures, peripheral/endovascular procedures, intra-aortic balloon insertions, permanent pacemaker implants, ICD implants, TEE's and cardioversions, EP studies and ablations.
6. Creates and maintains a safe sterile environment throughout all phases of procedure.
7. Follows ACLS protocol, under the direction of the cardiologist, in the event of complication or code 99. Assesses and monitors patient, establishes IV access, defibrillates, administers drugs as needed, and completes documentation in the medical record.
8. Provides specific pre-procedure education to patients and their families, obtains patient's history, assessment of blood work, allergies, and renal status pre-procedure. Verifies informed consent.
9. Contacts physician for contrast and/or renal prophylaxis, if needed and informs of any other abnormalities noted. Revises the nursing care process as indicated to ensure optimal patient care while in the cath lab.
10. Knowledgeable & skilled in the use of all diagnostic equipment & supplies needed for patient preparation, diagnostic and interventional procedures, EP studies and ablations, including devices used during implantation of permanent pacemakers and ICD's.
11. Thoroughly completes all documentation of procedures performed pre, intra, and post procedure, ACC-NCDR, and Connecticut Registries.
12. Assists in the training of new staff members and serves as a resource for information to the technical cath lab staff.
13. Participates in the on-call program for emergent diagnostic caths/PCI, IABP insertions, temporary pacemakers, and other emergent procedures.
14. Interrogates and reprograms permanent pacemakers and ICDs per physician's order.
15. Establishes policies for new procedures and equipment.
16. Assists in the QI program of the department, tracking adverse outcomes, and door to balloon time.
17. Achieves the organizations established expectations with regard to quality service, team work, self-development, and community service.
18. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
State of CT RN license. Interpretation of rhythm strips, sterile technique, conscious sedation, BLS, ACLS.
Minimum of 1 year cath lab and critical care experience preferred. Knowledge of pacemakers, ICD, electrophysiology studies.
Danbury-24 Hospital Ave
Cardiac Cath Lab
38.00, The schedule is 9.5 hour shifts, 4 days a week, day and evening shifts.
Exempt from Overtime:
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support
- Basic Life Support
- Registered Nurse
- Significant manual skills / motor coord & finger dexterity
- Significant occupational risk
- Very Heavy effort. May exert up to 50 lbs. force
- Significant exposure to dirt, odors, nose, human waste, etc.
Nuvance Health is a family of award-winning nonprofit hospitals and healthcare professionals in the Hudson Valley and western Connecticut.Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations. For more information about Nuvance Health, visit
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Qualified Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other classification protected under applicable Federal, State or Local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.