IBM Quantum is an industry first initiative to build universal quantum computers for business, engineering and science. This effort includes advancing the entire quantum computing technology stack and exploring applications to make quantum broadly usable and accessible. With a worldwide network of Fortune 500 companies, academic institutions, researchers, educators, and enthusiasts, we are committed to driving innovation for our clients in the IBM Q Network and the Qiskit Community.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Research is looking to hire excellent candidates to contribute to its quantum computing software efforts. The ideal candidate will have good knowledge of software engineering and architecture. The successful candidate will be responsible for architecting and implementing robust and well documented software solutions. We work on the cutting edge of our field and drive the change we want to be. Knowledge exchange, conference attendance, and experimenting with new technology is encouraged. We work mainly in python and use all the latest tools and concepts.
This position is located in Yorktown Heights, NY
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Must have strong python developer skills (6+ years)
- Must have strong knowledge of object-oriented software design principles
- Must know application development and object oriented programming and design
- Must have familiarity with scientific computing packages, such as numpy, pandas, cython
- Must have knowledge of software architecture design i.e. construction of internal representations, abstractions, software design patterns, and principles
- Must have knowledge of version control (github)
- Displayed and proven capability to learn and work with new technologies
- Displayed and proven ability to easily master new software packages and ideas quickly
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Highly motivated and organized
- Excellent attention to detail
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Quantum physics background and education
- Exposure to the ideas of nano-fabrication (or CAD design)
- Some experience with physics or engineering simulations
About Business Unit
With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research brings together hundreds of researchers who possess unparalleled industry expertise to address some of the world's most challenging problems. Join us as we do pioneering work in areas such as cognitive computing, augmented intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, to name a few.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.