Principal Machine Learning Scientist, Digital Practice - 342623
Nordstrom is revolutionizing fashion retail. As critical to the Nordstrom business strategy, this machine learning team is chartered to develop state of art ML algorithms and platforms that are highly accurate, scalable, and parallel. And it allows us to continuously innovate and provide the best experience for our customers - with unlocking the power of data and analytics to drive our customer obsession across all JWN channels.
We are at the forefront of using advanced mathematical models & algorithms, machine learning, and AI to individualize the experience that every customer has, and our scientists and engineers are constantly looking for new ways to improve the state of the art. Nordstrom machine learning team is a unique combination of big data, algorithms, and retail merchandising.
In this role, you will champion the development of advanced machine learning capabilities to power programmatic, algorithm driven customer experiences (i.e., journey, personalization & individualization, targeting, segmentation, etc…). You will partner with IT engineering and operations teams, data scientists, and other machine leaning scientists to develop and test new models/algorithms that combine machine learning, statistics, and optimization to maximize value creation at every touch and enhance the human connection. Data Science and machine learning team will use rigorous statistical modeling and analysis to discover critical insights that shape the product shopping experience across omni-channel for millions of Nordstrom customers.
- Own strategic thought leadership for the subject of enterprise wide machine learning capabilities
- Develop programmatic, human in the loop based models engineered around topics such as customer personalization services, outfit/ensemble recommendations, targeting, algorithmic contact/messaging management, customer value optimization, segmentation, etc.
- Use Deep Learning to push forward the state-of-the-art in quality text and image processing for machine learning models
- Use Deep Learning to optimize large-scale machine learning algorithms with thousands of parameters
- Design algorithms that combine human stylist & machine workers to train high quality ML models
- Use deep recurrent neural network (RNN) to improve forecasting
- Create methods to identify fashion trending and utilize customer feedback, social media and other third party implicit data to refine planning, marketing, inventory management decisions and customer recommendations.
- Provide technical mentorship to data scientists and guide technical thinking.
- Collaborate closely with technologists and business stakeholders to integrate models to production ready state using agile DEVOPs methodologies. At the same time, you will be able to maintain an active academic presence through research publications and conference attendance.
Resources Available to You
- Ph.D in CS, math, or engineering
- 10+ years of experience in handling massive amount of structured and unstructured data, with a proven track record of leveraging data and sciences to drive significant business impact; quantitative methods should span statistical modeling, machine learning, optimization methods, econometrics, graph theories, artificial intelligence, text mining and NLP.
- 5+ years of experience with machine learning. Hands on experience in architecting machine learning solutions end to end from business initiatives to math formulation, algorithm selections, learning and validation, and optimization;
- Minimum 2 years of experience in digital commerce, familiar with KPIs, A/B testing, and multivariate experimentation methods
- Extensive experience with feature engineering, stable feature selections, unsupervised, supervised, and graph based learning algorithms - deep learning, CNN, reinforced learning and active learning, RNN, GAM, belief propagation, collaborative filtering, page rank, etc. for clustering, predictions, forecasting, and recommendations.
- Experience with ensemble technologies for a complex machine learning system with each sub-system performing a subset of learning and recommendations.
- Experience building and deploying machine learning, statistics, and/or optimization models in real-time production environment.
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills coupled with strong business acumen, along with the ability to influence peer organizations.
- Knowledge of and experience working within cloud computing environments such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
- Experiences with open source tools, Tensor flow, MxNet, CNTK, Caffee, OpenCV.
- You will have access to scalable cloud computing and data management tools
- You will be working with a team of talented and creative Data Scientists and Analysts
- Dedicated resources on our Data Services team to acquire plumb and optimize data sources both existing and new
- The support of senior leadership for implementing ML & AI capabilities to improve omni-channel customer experiences
- Immediate group managers who are focused on supporting your success
Since 1901, Nordstrom has offered a wide variety of quality apparel, shoes and accessories for men, women and children at our stores across the country. We're proud to be named to Fortune™ magazine's list of '100 Best Companies to Work For.' We believe this recognition comes from our desire to empower our employees to set their sights high and deliver exceptional service to customers.
As a Nordstrom employee, you can feel confident that your health and well-being are among our highest priorities. We offer a comprehensive, flexible employee benefits package that includes medical/vision and dental coverage, a generous merchandise discount, an employer-matched 401(K) savings and profit sharing plan and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a diverse environment.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job
: 05/08/2018, 2:18:23 PM
: United States-Washington-Seattle