Job Purpose: The primary responsibilities of the Medical Assistant include assisting the providers and the office with care for the people we support, including clerical, environmental and organizational tasks as well as providing information to people we serve so they may fully utilize and benefit from the clinic services, all while conveying a positive image of the organization.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Greet and register people we support in a professional, assistive manner. Check schedules and organize the flow of people; accompany people we support to the treatment area.
2. Schedule appointments for the people we support.
3. Verify and update the information (e.g. phone, address, insurance) of the people we support.
4. Request that information forms be completed by people we support. Enter information into electronic health record and other systems with accuracy.
5. Verify Medicaid and other insurance coverage, including verification of managed care referral authorizations.
6. Prepare files for the visit, and inform the nurse, the medical assistant, or other provider when people we support arrive.
7. Assist people we support as needed with walking, transfers, and in the absence of onsite lab, collecting specimens.
8. Collect pertinent history, obtaining vital signs, current complaint and medication reconciliation.
9. Perform screenings per provider guidelines.
10. Assist providers with various procedures/requests, as needed.
11. Prepare medical record information for referrals, as requested and document in the electronic health record.
12. Chart; relay instructions to people we support and their families.
13. Answer calls and provide pertinent information in a courteous and helpful manner.
14. Assist with providing education as directed by the provider.
15. Communicate, in a tactful and professional manner test results to people we support and schedule follow-up visits, if indicated by the provider.
16. Respond to verbal and electronic requests for information and assistance using proper policies, reference tools and provider instructions.
17. Process prescription refills, and direct/instruct people we support and/or family members regarding prescription and treatment instructions according to the provider guidelines and orders.
18. Clean equipment/testing supplies and treatment area between visits to maintain infection control.
19. Keep appropriate records; ordering, sorting, storing supplies; restocking exam/procedure rooms.
20. Maintain organization of medication closet.
21. Act as the contact person for visiting pharmaceutical representatives, as requested.
22. Assist in reporting of data to the MCO/LME, reviewing medical records for quantitative accuracy and completeness, and ensuring records are prepared for billing.
23. Ensure daily documentation meet standards, regulations, policies, and procedures.
24. Perform various account collection duties such as, but not limited to, collection and posting of payment.
25. Keep appropriate records; ordering, sorting, storing supplies; including maintenance of equipment, etc.
26. Perform a variety of routine clerical duties including but not limited to filing, copying, faxing, transcription, sorting mail and posting, etc.
27. Respect/promote rights of people we support.
28. Share concerns relating to people we support and/or staff with immediate supervisors quickly.
29. Open and close office on assigned days, or as requested.
30. Comply with OSHA/Corporate Compliance/CLIA/HIPAA regulations.
31. Attend and actively participate in meetings and training as required. Maintain certification in all agency, state and federal training requirements.
32. Demonstrate knowledge of and comply with all agency policies and procedures, as well as state and federal statutes and regulations related to specific program areas.
33. Demonstrate knowledge of emergency procedures and assist in emergency situations.
34. Travel and driving may be required.
35. Perform other appropriate functions as assigned.
1. Medical assistant diploma (Registered Medical Assistant or Certified Medical Assistant). RMA or CMA required.
2. 1-year experience working in medical office setting preferred.
3. Associates degree preferred.
4. Valid North Carolina Driver License.
Job Type: Full-time