Hiring Range Grade 2 $11.52-$14.74 per hour ($23,956-$30,664 annually)
Department Landscape and Grounds
Posting Number S00401
Reports to Grounds Supervisor
Full or Part Time Full Time
Number of Months 12 Months
Monday -Friday 7 AM-3:30 PM
Some weekends required.
Position End Date (if temporary)
Position Summary Information
Provide routine and technical grounds service daily to maintain the campus at the highest possible level of care.
This position is designated “essential personnel” requiring the individual to report to work as designated by policy. When contacted, incumbent is expected to reach the campus as expeditiously as possible using normal precautions as dictated by the adverse weather.
Perform the duties and responsibilities of this role at all times in a fashion that supports the College’s commitment to creating an inclusive college of academic excellence where a variety of people and perspectives are welcome, and to providing an environment where people from all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations and backgrounds may succeed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in preparing seed beds, mixing fertilizer, soil, sand and other horticultural materials
- Perform trash pick-up and litter control
- Pressure wash surfaces and clean exterior windows
- Assist in project work which may include planting, retaining walls, patio construction, etc.
- May assist in athletic functions for site cleanup and other duties as assigned.
- Assist in the planting, cultivating, fertilizing and spraying of grass seeds, shrubbery, flower bulbs, trees and plants
- Mow grass, rake leaves, trim hedges and edge sidewalks and driveways
- Participate in the removal of dirt, sand, rubbish, snow, leaves and debris
- Clean gardening tools and make minor repairs to mowers and other grounds maintenance equipment
- Operate such equipment as gasoline-powered mowers, shears, edgers, saws, sprayers, and leaf grinding machines
- May plant and transplant flowers, shrubs, trees and other landscaping items under direction of manager and or landscaping plans
- Participate in continuous quality improvement activates as needed/required
- Perform other related work as assigned.
- Inspects and performs preventive maintenance, cleaning, adjustment, repair of landscaping and grounds equipment including proper care for assigned golf cart
- Maintains equipment records for scheduling of maintenance, ordering of repair parts and optimal utilization of resources.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable safety regulations
- In accordance with established guidelines, conducts periodic inspections of College grounds and reports the results of inspections of any building deficiencies or the preventive maintenance schedule to the Grounds Manager
- Promotes and cultivates a sense of both teamwork and of hard work, realizing that they go hand in hand.
- Interact with the Guilford Community in a professional, customer service oriented manner.
- Promote and practice key work place safety programs.
- Promote sustainable practices in landscape and grounds activities to further promote the College’s commitment to sustainability.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and skill in the use of various types of hand tools, mowers, sprayers, etc.
- Knowledge of groundskeeping horticultural practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of pruning, spraying, and trimming requirements of shrubs and trees.
- Knowledge of the hazards and applicable safety requirements of equipment and machines used. Ability to make minor repairs to mowers, sprayers, pruners and other grounds maintenance equipment and tools.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform strenuous work under varying weather conditions.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees and members of the Guilford College community.
- Aware of and commitment to the mission of Facilities and Operations and Guilford College
- Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong work ethic
- Excellent communication skills are necessary.
- Working knowledge of at least three trades is required
- Any combination of experience and training which provides the requires knowledge, skills and abilities
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who demonstrate success in recruiting, retaining, mentoring and / or actively engaging with under-represented and underserved populations both in the workplace and in the broader community.
- Must be physically fit as work requires climbing ladders, entering tight spaces, and working in varying weather conditions, etc.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. unassisted
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 10/03/2018
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Guilford College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information, military status, veteran status, or any other protected category under applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation. See our full Statement of Non-Discrimination.
In its active commitment to building a diverse community, Guilford College rejects discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or national or ethnic origin in admission, employment or access to programs and activities. The college also seeks to avoid discrimination in the administration of educational programs, admission policies, financial aid or any other college program or activity.If accommodation or assistance is needed in completing this application, contact Human Resources at 336-316-2436.
Guilford College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff, visitors and others, and to protecting College assets. Well informed hiring decisions assist in this effort. To accomplish this goal, the College performs background checks on new employees.
About the College:
*Founded in 1837 by the Religious Society of Friends
(Quakers), Guilford College is a selective four-year liberal arts college
located on a 335-acre campus in Greensboro, NC. Known for its challenging,
socially engaged programs in the arts, humanities, business, policy, and
sport studies, social sciences, natural science and mathematics, Guilford
is an intentionally diverse, inclusive community where students and faculty
collaborate critically and creatively to address complex issues and
problems with an emphasis on interdisciplinary perspectives.