USSOCOM's mission is to “Provide fully capable Special Operations Forces (SOF) to defend the United States and its interests and synchronize planning for global operations against terrorist networks.” As a member of our team, you will partner with SOF military and civilian members to directly support this mission by providing world-class Information Technology services and support that connect over 60,000 users around the world.
The Systems Engineer performs tier three systems support in accordance with the SIE OPORD. In addition to in-depth technical knowledge of the Government’s software and hardware, Systems Engineers need advanced analytical, troubleshooting and design skills. The ability to communicate with technical and non-technical users also is essential. The Systems Engineer must be familiar with the systems engineering process and data as a fundamental building block for performance improvement. Participation in working groups, design reviews and system tests is required. Candidates will help generate assessments, as well as develop and implement actionable recommendations based on reviews. Candidates require extensive knowledge of the development process, including specification, documentation, and quality assurance. Because of the broad range of demands Systems Engineers must meet, candidates who have demonstrated strong project planning skills are preferred. Systems Engineers must have the ability to focus on engineering from a performance perspective. Candidates will have knowledge of data structures and relational database systems (e.g., Oracle, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, PostGres) along with working knowledge of network and information exchange technologies (e.g., TCP/IP, RESTful, SOAP, HTTP). Finally, Systems Engineers must be familiar with system engineering processes and techniques, possess excellent collaboration and communication skills and demonstrate strong technical writing skills.
- Developing, maintaining and supporting technical infrastructure, hardware and system software components
- Performing installation, maintenance and support of system software and hardware
- Performing user support
- Configuring, debugging and supporting multiple infrastructure platforms
- Performing high-level root cause analysis in support of service interruption recovery as well as creating and documenting preventive measures
- Working as a strong team contributor and providing technical expertise
- Staying abreast of emerging trends in information technology and helping shape the work for the Government
- Working with the Government to understand their requirements and evaluate possible technical solutions
- Designing and implementing solutions for server, storage, and data technologies
- Creating and maintaining operational checklists
- Identifying performance issues and trends in operational systems
- Providing recommendations for process and configuration improvements
- Documenting system configurations and dependencies
- Reporting service status, issues, and recommendations to senior leaders
- Mentoring and leading junior systems personnel
Associate of Science degree in Information Technology, IT Security, Network Systems Technology or related field or equivalent experience plus four (4) to seven (7) years of directly related experience or any equivalent combination of education, experience, training and certifications.
8 years of Systems Engineer related experience
Employment is contingent upon keeping required certifications current
- Current MCSE certification relevant to the candidates work area
- DOD 8570 IAT Level II or higher
- Work will be performed inside a large facility. Work assignments vary based on client requirements. Position could require some night and weekend work.
Equipment and Machines:
- Sitting at desk. Phone use and PC or laptop. Filing required. May require lifting and carrying computer equipment, boxes of supplies or files up to 50 lbs. Extended periods of sitting while on PC/laptop or phone.
- General office equipment, which includes: telephone, fax machine, copier, PC/laptop, and other miscellaneous office equipment. Servers, switches and other computer equipment used to support network operations.
- Work assignments dependent on requirements by the client. It is important to be able to work at least 8 hours a day for 5 days per week (Monday through Friday).
- On-Call or after hours support may be required
Other Essential Functions:
- Continental and Oversees travel may be required. It is important to maintain a current passport.
- Candidate must exhibit a professional behavior that promotes teamwork, fosters cooperation, and enhances productivity in the workplace. Must be well organized with the ability to coordinate, prioritize and execute multiple tasks simultaneously in a high-pressure environment. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing to work effectively with a variety of government, military and contractor personnel at all levels. Must be able to interface effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization. Grooming and dress usually business casual, but dependent on client’s standards. Must not pose a safety hazard to employees working in the same general area.
- The position for which you are applying for requires a US government security clearance. This is to advise you, that should you be extended an offer, if you possess a dual citizenship (i.e., citizen of the US and another country), in order to be granted a clearance you will be required to relinquish your citizenship in the foreign country.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Jacobs is a background screening, drug-free workplace.