Uptima Business Bootcamp is an innovative member-owned business accelerator dedicated to providing diverse entrepreneurs with greater access to quality hands-on education, resources and community to create thriving businesses. We provide training and business advising to support freelancers, small business owners, and startup founders to start, plan, grow, fund, lead, and keep their businesses in their communities. Our programs encourage entrepreneurs to think about the impact of their business in their community and on their lifestyle. Uptima is very different from other business accelerators – as a cooperative, participants and workers are a part of a real community that shares in our profits and has a say in how our programs are run.
Uptima seeks a Human Resources Assistant who shares our vision, values and commitment to creating a thriving ecosystem of businesses and business leaders in the Bay Area. At Uptima, you will perform within an innovative culture that’s focused on transformational change in how we do business. You will leverage your skills to support the recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and retention of employees across our locations.
This position reports to the Business Manager and will work remotely and out of our local offices. The position will start out as a ten (10) hour a week commitment with the opportunity to increase hours and move into a full-time position as we continue to expand.
- Collaborate with other staff to develop and manage thoughtful and scalable human resources policies and procedures in alignment with our cooperative model and values
- Initiate new employee recruitment efforts, including writing and placing job advertisements
- Screen candidates and coordinate interviews with hiring team and other staff
- Complete reference checks and other pre-employment screenings
- Prepare employment offer letters and other employment communications
- Assist in onboarding new employees, including setting up technology logins, collecting and entering new employee information in employee management and payroll systems, distribution of employee handbook and policies, and setting up and participating in new employee orientations
- Ensure the timely collection, processing, and storage of employee forms for payroll and compliance with employment law and other regulations
- Prepare and administer payroll by calculating pay, processing direct deposits, and maintaining payroll records
- Administer employee benefits programs and maintain associated benefit records
- Process employee exits and terminations
- Be the main point of contact for employee inquiries and requests related to payroll, benefits, and employment verification
- Support other human resources projects as needed
- Strong desire to contribute to a business with positive community impact
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Human Resources or Business Administration
- At least three (3) years of experience as a human resources assistant or related position
- Solid understanding of time tracking, payroll, and human resource management systems
- Proficiency in creating and working with spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel
- Proficiency in creating and managing electronic forms through Docusign
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, collaboration and service orientation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extremely organized, strong project management skills and keen attention to detail
- Experience working in a small business or startup organization is a plus
We offer attractive compensation, flexible work schedule, learning opportunities through our entrepreneurship programs, co-working membership and potential to become a member-owner of our cooperative.
Due to anticipated volume of responses, we will contact only those candidates who most closely share our vision and match our qualifications. Only local candidates will be considered.
Please send cover letter, resume, and compensation requirements.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $20.00 - $25.00 per hour
We are currently conducting all operations remotely. We will resume in-person work when there is more assurances for the health and safety and childcare support of our workers..
- Recruiting: 2 years (Required)
- Payroll: 2 years (Required)
- Human Resources: 3 years (Required)
Hours per week: