Full Job Description
Electron Microscopist / Imaging Specialist
Sivananthan Laboratories is on the cutting edge of research and development of intelligent and automatic-decision making sensors and imagers, located in the suburbs of Chicago and in close proximity to Argonne and Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory National Laboratories, as well as numerous universities, including Northwestern University, University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Chicago and IIT. Constant innovation of Sivananthan Laboratories’ technologies provides state-of-the-art infrared imagers to U.S. defense and commercial customers. Join our dedicated and talented team of innovators in achieving our mission to “protect those who protect us.”
SUMMARY OF ROLE:
Successful candidates should be skilled in all aspects on scanning electron microscopy (SEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM) with experience in image simulation and state-of-the-art processing and analytics packages. They will be able to advise and assist with the characterization of advanced materials and the implementation of novel algorithms for real-time intelligent processing of video from next generation optical, infrared and electron sensors. Candidates will have access to state-of-the art instrumentation (e.g. aberration-corrected cold-field emission JEOL ARM200CF, …), and will be able to work closely with Profs. N.D. Browning and R.F. Klie). Applicants should also be creative, versatile, and eager to expand and improve their skill set. This will be an on-site job at our office.
- Support the development of new materials, intelligent sensors and novel analytics for advanced imaging applications
- Contribute expertise in state-of-the-art electron imaging and analytical methods.
- Collaborate and in some cases coordinate research efforts with scientists and engineers to develop new areas of research in materials/imaging science.
- Familiarity with or an eagerness to learn and implement new compressive sensing and/or machine learning approaches to imaging.
- Master’s Degree and a few years of experience in the application of Electron Microscopy or a PhD in materials science/physics/chemistry and a demonstrated expertise in electron microscopy methods
- Expertise in image simulation and analytics and quantitative microanalysis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including formal writing skills.
- Citizen, green card holder, or permanent resident of the United States.
- Preferred expertise in scientific computing, real-time operating systems.
- Experience programming C/C++ and GPU programming with CUDA.
- Familiarity with python, databases, shell scripting, and a variety of mathematics such as linear algebra and differential equations..
- Experience with computer vision, and other advanced algorithms.
Job Type: Full-time
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Aggressive -- competitive and growth-oriented
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture