Associate Buyers are responsible for collaborating with Buyers to develop merchandise assortment and business strategies that drive sales and profitability. This position participates in the forecasting and analysis of business results, identifies key industry trends, plans product assortment and negotiates with vendors as it pertains to a particular area of the business, key classification and/or department.
Associate Buyers are required to assume complete responsibility for a portion of the Buyer’s overall business and manage the processes necessary to achieve or exceed sales and profitability objectives for that area. This position is responsible for providing support to Buyers in terms of the development and execution of plans and strategies for defined categories and/or departments. Associate Buyers are responsible for embracing Family Dollar’s store-centric commitment to customers, customer service and sales.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop competitive customer and market strategies that involve targeted merchandise selection, proper assortment planning and accurate pricing plans for a specified area of the business
- Execute sales, margin percent and dollar and inventory plans. Monitor and respond to issues and opportunities resulting from deviations in plan variances, and share concerns with Buyers
- Assist in analyzing class performance and planned class penetration using assortment planning tool and approved allocations strategies.
- Provide information to support micro-merchandising strategies and review with team.
- Execute and aid in the development of departmental strategies to achieve sales and profitability targets. Assist in establishing replenishment strategies and identify items as replenishment candidates
- Analyze sales trends, key items, vendor profitability, and aged inventory and make recommendations for driving improved performance
- Design a promotional for a particular area of the business and monitor and manage performance
- Obtain samples and provide direction during promo planning process. Perform quality control to ensure correct information is provided for both ads and signage
- Complete accurate forecasts as well as evaluate sales, markdowns and receipts
- Analyze assigned category(s) on a regular basis to identify opportunities, trends, and sales shortfalls. Design specific, targeted action plans to enhance sales in assigned area(s)
- Develop detailed seasonal plans that allow departments to meet sales and profitability objectives. Recommend visual presentation guidelines to support seasonal and other strategies within the stores
- Work with Planners and Pricing to manage the markdown process in accordance with Family Dollar policy
- Maintain collaborative partnership and relationships with all internal colleagues and departments
- Manage vendor relationships to ensure that merchandise is available in the appropriate quantities as needed to meet customer demands
- Continuously build upon and increase industry and product knowledge by reading monthly industry reports and enhancing systems knowledge
- Shop local Family Dollar stores, as well as other comparative retail stores, on a regular basis to identify new trends and opportunities, evaluate merchandise mix, evaluate competition, and translate findings into executable product plans
- Responsible for work-related travel (approximately 10-15% of the time)
- Other job-related duties as assigned
Bachelors Degree from a four-year college or university or equivalent experience / training preferred
3 or more years of related experience as a Buyer or 5 or more years of combined buying, planning and allocation responsibilities
Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and Windows-based programs as well as retail math; Strong merchandising, product, trend and analytical skills
Demonstrated leadership and decision making