The assistant to the state highway safety and traffic engineer is responsible for leading highway safety program planning
and coordination, federal grant processes, and contract processes; assists in setting the direction for the division and lead
the division in supervisor's absence. Responsibilities are performed under general supervision.
Bachelor's Degree: Business Administration, Civil Engineering, Public Administration, Safety, Social Sciences, or related
Over nine years of professional experience in criminal justice, public safety, transportation engineering, traffic safety, or
Special Working Conditions/Job Characteristics:
Examples of Work:
• Guides the development and implementation of the Highway Safety Plan and Commercial Vehicle Safety Plan,
including coordination with federal and state highway safety goals and objectives; evaluates for effectiveness.
• Develops, implements, and evaluates highway safety-related programs, policies, organizational changes, and
• Leads the Missouri Coalition for Roadway Safety, including its subcommittees and regional coalitions; plans and
manages the strategic highway safety plan, regional coalition work plans, and coalition budget.
• Meets with cities, counties, federal and state agencies, elected officials and other organizations concerning highway
safety programs and department initiatives.
• Identifies and implements best practices for highway safety by working with other states, federal partners, and other
• Represents the department to local, state, and national media and responds to highway safety inquiries.
• Presents highway safety information and initiatives to groups at the local, state, and national levels.
• May perform state highway safety and traffic engineer duties and represent the division at departmental meetings in
the absence of the state highway safety and traffic engineer.
• Performs supervisory responsibilities in a manner consistent with the department's Affirmative Action Program.
• Performs other responsibilities as required or assigned.
In order to be considered for this vacancy please go to the Missouri Department of Transportation Employment
Application System (EAS) and submit an on-line application. Applications, and if applicable transcripts, must be
received by no later than 11:55 pm of the closing date listed on the advertised vacancy.
Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V