About the Position:
The Project Manager/Estimator’s essential function is to estimate and manage the daily details of the project, including purchases, subcontracting, changes and coordination of office and field activities during the construction period. Specifically:
- Study and understand the contract documents of each project before, as well as after estimating to determine areas, including provisions of the general or special conditions, that may be ambiguous or present problems or result in unforeseen costs.
- Maintain an up-to-date file or library of material suppliers, current labor laws, equipment rental, and qualified subcontractors by category.
- Investigate conditions at the jobsite prior to bid to understand and evaluated site accessibility, surface and underground conditions and any condition that would affect construction methods and costs.
- Estimate accurately each job and review the estimate with Chief Estimator/Owners in sufficient time to permit careful analysis, checking of calculations, and corrections as necessary.
- Purchase major materials and let subcontracts for work awarded at the most competitive price early enough to ensure timely delivery of materials and performance of subcontracts.
- Prepare at various stages (pre-bid, post award, etc.) and update as necessary the job progress schedule in coordination with the Job Superintendent - Must be familiar with computers and Microsoft: Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint. Must have experience working with project management and estimating software. Experience working with Viewpoint and/or HCSS HeavyBid is a plus.
- Coordinate material deliveries and subcontract work in accordance with progress schedule and adjust as necessary due to changes.
- Resolve, or assist Job Superintendent in resolving, design and detail problems with owners, design agents, suppliers, and subcontractors.
- Attend preconstruction and job meetings.
- Prepare cost breakdown and make adjustments as required; review with Foremen and all relevant parties for concurrence.
- Prepare periodic percent completion data for job cost report and monitor printouts to correct mis-postings and other errors.
- Analyze job cost reports to determine recommended action on overruns.
- Prepare data for invoices and submit in a timely manner to the Accounting Department.
- Code and approve invoices.
- Assure that details and submittals are received, submitted, corrected, approved and returned to the suppliers and subcontractors to assure delivery of materials and equipment to support progress schedules. Supervise submittal control data.
- Maintain and supervise adequate estimate and plan files.
- Supervise preparation of bid and job correspondence.
- Assist and cooperate with customers, Prus Construction employees, subcontractors, suppliers and other parties, in order to maintain good relations and activities.
- Estimate and submit timely change proposals to the owner. Prepare and execute change orders between the company, the owner, and subcontractors.
- Request extensions of time as required by contract documents.
- Prepare special reports.
- Have thorough knowledge of company procedures manual.
- Knowledge and background in the construction industry.
- Knowledge and background in estimating the type of jobs normally performed by the company. Currently, company uses HeavyBid and HCSS Viewpoint computerized estimating program which each Project Manager/Estimator needs to develop thorough knowledge and understanding of projects normally performed by the company.
- Ability to make accurate quantity surveys and to estimate the cost of materials, labor, equipment, and subcontractor’s work, ascertaining that all areas have been accounted for prior to submitting estimate for review.
- Maintain a high degree of integrity, loyalty and honesty; not divulge to outside parties information of a confidential nature pertaining to the company’s operations or bids.
- The ability to get along with people and to communicate in a professional manner with Owners, Inspectors, Architects, and others having a direct interest in a project being constructed.
- Ability to carry out the duties described in the job description in an efficient manner.
Employment Type Full-Time
Job Type Construction
Education 2 Year Associates Degree
Experience 3 to 5 years
Manages Others Yes
Required Travel Not Specified
Prus Construction Company is an EOE.
Prus Construction participates in E-Verify.